• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debian 5.0 set up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

I like Debian 5.0, because while it has a lot of software, it ends up having KISS configuration features, too.

It actually isn't hard to get Nvidia 3D support installed.

Just that after the apt-get'ing that you have some more manual steps:

First step after apt-getting:

1: m-a nvidia-kernel-common${VERSION} (or something like that, I need to check the commands again when I get back home, I written them down)

2: Just have to add "nvidia" to /etc/modules

3: Add " Device "nvidia" "

in the xorg.conf file

in the proper section and reboot.

When the nvidia-settings app gave me an error message about not appearing to have the nvidia support loaded, it was simply because I had a brain fart and forgot to add "Device "nvidia" " to xorg.conf. ;)

You don't have to change much in the xorg.conf file.

That's why I like Debian. ;)

And errors are usually because of apt-get not being configured properly. ->You're required to enable the third party repositories, IIRC.

Debian seems to have done everything right, at least for a Linux distro that's big, but it's not that big. Just not tiny, like sub 100 MB.

I run Debian testing on one of my rigs and its pretty reasonable as long as you do not install the meta packages such as the gnome-desktop as these install a lot of stuff which is not required for the power user. If you are not a power user wishing to keep everything in Debian very slim and light you may as well go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint imho as these come fully loaded and its for this reason I run Mint on my Laptop.
I think the documentation for Debian is not great with Gentoo and Ubuntu community efforts generally surpassing it.

I run Debian testing on one of my rigs and its pretty reasonable as long as you do not install the meta packages such as the gnome-desktop as these install a lot of stuff which is not required for the power user

http://dpkg.vireo.org/factoid.php?key=install gnome
alue <reply> To install GNOME on sarge or later, install the 'gnome' package to install everything, the 'gnome-desktop-environment' package for slightly less stuff, or the 'gnome-core' package for even less. You will need X installed as well, ask me about <install x>. http://wiki.debian.org/Gnome

Back