• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A free or cheap way to e-file taxes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

I went to the IRS website and found I need to buy a program to e-file or go through a private company just to do a 1040ez or 1040A. Any ideas on the best way to e-file for free or for little $?

You can go to a professional tax preparer, but they will cost you more than any software would.

Personally I use TurboTax Deluxe for both my Federal & State. I've used the efile option since it was available (T.T.D. will refund the $10 efile fee for 1 return) & have found that using efile w/ the direct deposit option means I get my tax refund in about 2 weeks.

The Deluxe version may be overkill for your needs. Check out the standard version & see if that meets your needs.

I have used quicken.com for the past couple of years.Its all online
no software needed and its about a $10 charge.You also get the option to do a direct pay to your account(which takes 2 weeks)or
go for the check in the mail(about 3 weeks)

I've seen an advertisement that if your income is under a certain amount, Quicken.com will do your taxes for free. I don't know what any of the catches are though.

www.taxact is where i did mine. you can either do them online or download the proggy. it's 7.95 if you d/l it, or 7.95 online for 1040 and free if it's a 1040ez. got my refund (direct deposit) in a week and a half.

That's what I've used the last few years. The Turbo Tax website. It cost's me about $40.00 to file but heck it's worth it when you get your taxes back in less then 2 weeks. Your state in about 1 week! And there software does it for you. So as long as you type it all in right you should be mistake free.

Back