• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad RAM or something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

I just suddenly got a ton of blue screens and crashes, and sure enough one of my Ballistix sticks is erroring immediately in memtest. I got these last October when my first set had a stick go bad.

No OCing this time around, mainly due to my CPU's inability to run anything overstock anymore and I have to overvolt it to even do that.

Is Crucial putting out bad stuff nowadays, or is something else in my system causing the memory to go bad? It seems strange that I've had two sets of RAM from a quality manufacturer go bad on me in less than a year.

could be bad ram and mobo.... im guessing your running that p35 in your sig correct? get rid of the fauly stick and up the nb voltage to see if you get any added stability with your cpu oc...

if you have a friend with a 775 mobo you should try putting your cpu in his system to see if he is able to push it higher than stock if so then your mobo is the problem

Turns out I overvolted it. I somehow read the opperating voltage as 2.2 and not 2.0, and my cooling couldn't keep up with it. At least new DDR2 is cheap.

xtkxhom3r, when my OC starting failing, I tried everything cranked and it couldn't even run at 2.1 (300*7). It is probably the combo of a crappy cpu, its rated for 1.35 volts which is on the very high end, and a bad mobo, it randomly powers down after changing BIOS settings, and I think this got corrected in the V2 of this board. By the time I heard about this I had already OCed so I didn't RMA.

I dont think 2.2V would kill it. probaly just bad luck. I just sent a pair of Corsair XMS memory for RMA for the 2nd time.

Single side, had the double sided but sent em both in so I could do dual channel.

Crucial has had a ton of problems in the last 2-3 years. I had to RMA a pair of DDR2 800 Balistix a year or so ago. I think I will stay away from this brand in the near future. Personally, I think they bin their ram too high and try to cover it with more voltage.

Back