• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First timer's AMD build, help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Learnin2PC

Registered
Hello, OCF and all of its inhabitants, I'd like to make a new build this summer to upgrade my Pentium 4 Dell desktop I am currently typing on right now. Right now, you must be thinking, "Kid! Get to the point already so I can get back to OCing my Intel/AMD desktop to 3.8 GHz! Jeez!" Well, here ya go.

I need this PC for (in order of importance):
Home and school use (internet browsing, word documenting, etc.)
Video watching/editing (YouTube, AAE CS4, Sony Vegas, other demanding programs, etc.)
Gaming (Halo 2 Vista, Fallout 3, GTA4, CoD 4-5)

So far, some lovely people have made a suggested build (included with monitor, no need for keyboard and mouse) that fit my budget, which is around $900 including shipping. Here it is:
whatisthisidonteven.png

Anyway, I am asking you to improve this build without going overboard. I am not the smartest person when it comes to computers, so take it slow. :)

Thanks!

Everything looks in order, You could get away with a 9800GTX for the price of that vid card, or with a little more, You could get a GTX285.

Why would I want a 9800GTX? The 4870 delivers superior performance to that card. I am into ATi because of the fact that I can steam audio from the card through DVI/HDMI without using internal cabling.

I'm new too and I just did my first build and it was similar to yours. I went with the GA-MA790X-UD4P too and I think its a good board if you're wondering about that. I went with DDR2-1150 so I can overclock it a little, I'm not sure if you're supposed to do that but maybe you want to get little bit faster mem too?

I have the Gigabyte board that CharlieCS suggested and It is a very solid board with alot of overclocking features for cheap (has heatsinks over the mosfets and northbridge which help with overclocking). For only the $20 difference I would say definitely go with it unless integrated video is a necessity but seeing as you have selected a 4870 you dont need it. It also 2 pcie x16 slots for crossfire, even though they run at x8 when in crossfire mode. Maybe later if you feel the need for more graphics power you buy an additional 4870 to run crossfire

Also If you can spare the change (+$50) and want to go ATI, look at the 4890 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359, They surpass the GTX 285 with a little overclocking, look at this review http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4890-review-test/1

Also curious did you intend to use the stock heatsink, If you want higher clocks maybe look at something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004 or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029&Tpk=xigmatek dark knight heatsink.

Last edited:
If you're on a tight budget, stick where you are really, if you've got a little bit more room, I suggest an AM3 board, ddr3 RAM and a 955.

If not.. Thenn I can't think of anything I'd change.. except for that board. Like tjp368 mentioned a nice gigabyte board would topple that :p.

Or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138143 Nice biostar board =D. But without xfire.. So yeah. I really can't see anything I'd change in that build. Apart from changing it to an AM3 system. But ya.

Get 790X. The 940 is good.

How about the case? Antec 902 is better than 300.

Yes but it's also more expensive. The three hundred is a fine case for normal gaming, etc, and even for general overclockers. Only enthusiasts or people who feel the need to have THE LOWEST possible temps need anything more than this case really.. Or they just like the style of another more. Personally, if I was gonna get a 902, I'd just get a 1200, as that's all it is, a mid-version of the 1200. The three hundred is simple, has 2 decent fans where it's required most, and is solid. For some people like myself, it's enough :p

Ha-nocri, I believe the other board you listed is exactly the same minus 2 e-sata ports and a heat pipe that connects the northbridge and vrms.

Thank you for the advice guys! What should I skimp on to put it around $900? =D

EDIT: Never mind, I found out it's $874 w/o shipping. Thank you! :D

I switched out the RAM for the light blue one (lolz) and the 940/790X Gigabyte combo. Epic! :D

Here it is:
thebestthebestthebest11.png

Last edited:
Everything looks in order, You could get away with a 9800GTX for the price of that vid card, or with a little more, You could get a GTX285.

for $5 more you can get a 4890 last I saw in cyber-deals. ($153 I believe AMIR for the cheapest of them)

You also want to leave room for a heatsink if you intend of overclocking or tweaking it. If you, make sure it comes with a bolt through kit. My Tuniq Tower performed well on my 920, but temps improved a lot after I fashioned up a bolt through kit for it.

Back