• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, first Hard tubing, some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

animalmom

Registered
Hi,

I have made a few water cooled rigs, I am making a new build with hard tubing and a distro plate.

I have a few, probably obvious questions. I was intrigued by

http://https://youtu.be/6y8EcsHnQYU

so I am making something similar. I will be taking parts off my current PC:

Hero Maximus X12
I9 10900 KF
MSI Gaming X Trio 2080ti

I’ll be adding:

1000d Corsair Case
EKWB Distro plate
140x3 push pull EKWB rad on top - 6x LL140
120x2 EKWB rad in back - 2x LL120

They have EKWB waterblocks already installed.

Questions:

1: Can I use my old connectors I used for soft tubing with new hard tubing fittings? So I get new fittings to connect to the tubes but other than can i use my extensions, angled extensions etc? They are all EKWB components. I mean they all seem to have G 1/4” threads so I assume yes but thought I would ask. I’m going to have clear tubes, not metal

2: What size tubing would you reccomend - if you watched the video I linked what size are those? I like the way the guy only had horizontal tubes with angled fittings, no tube bends - I think i will go with that.

3: On each of his horizontal runs near the plate he has a “thing”, two fo them appear to be some sort of flow spinner - what are they? What is the black thing on the other one?

4: What brand of Mobo Power supply extender/RDB cable would you recommend - I think it looks great.

Will probably have more questions later so thanks in advance anyone responds.

Totally offended... :clap:

1. I'm pretty sure you'll need all parts designed for hard tubing.

2. For soft, 3/8 to 1/2" worked well. So 12-14mm

3. The link isn't working for me... but I'm guessing you're seeing little flow rate meters. Simple plastic ones just show the flow, some have sensors and send RPM data.

4. Never used those... sorry.

Totally offended... :clap:

1. I'm pretty sure you'll need all parts designed for hard tubing.

2. For soft, 3/8 to 1/2" worked well. So 12-14mm

3. The link isn't working for me... but I'm guessing you're seeing little flow rate meters. Simple plastic ones just show the flow, some have sensors and send RPM data.

4. Never used those... sorry.

Weird on the link

For some reason if i click on it it doesn’t work but if you copy paste it does.

Thanks

Patience ..... it's not real busy here right now.

Hard and soft tube are 2 different beasts nothing is compatible between the two. Best advice for tube and fittings, find the fittings you like and match the tube from the same manufacturer if possible and same size as the fittings, pick a size you like and match the fittings. Fittings will set you back the most $$$ and even more if you plan on using fittings at the bends, that being said bending while easy if you take your time has the risk of leaks if you over heat the acrylic I lost 2 GFX cards like this when I stressed an over heated bend while changing some ram causing a mild leak I didn't spot. PLAN PLAN PLAN then check it all over again before you cut anything. Hard tubing is nice for the bling abut if you tend to swap out components allot you will grow to hate is as every time you swap out say a CPU you will need to drain the loop first.

Thanks!

What confuses me is that for EKWB they have fittings separated into Hard and Soft - but for extenders and anglesthey don’t (which makes sense) - hard tube goes into fitting - fitting has G 1/4 on one end and tube on the other, spacers, extenders and angles are all G 1/4.

Yeah for this one I want it to look nice - I will not bend the tubes, all bends will be fittings

Thanks !

Thanks!

What confuses me is that for EKWB they have fittings separated into Hard and Soft - but for extenders and anglesthey don’t (which makes sense) - hard tube goes into fitting - fitting has G 1/4 on one end and tube on the other, spacers, extenders and angles are all G 1/4.

Yeah for this one I want it to look nice - I will not bend the tubes, all bends will be fittings

Thanks !

Be advised: For every fitting, there's a weak point. The more fittings you add, the more weak points you will have for failures. I haven't built a hardline system as I change hardware frequently, so soft tubing works for my needs.

Good luck!

Back