• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Upgrade Path

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tserrof

Computer A: laptop with Vista OEM license
Computer B: Desktop Computer with no OS

will this work: transfer OEM license from computer A to computer B and use a copy of windows 7 upgrade on computer B.

stupid M$ upgrade nonsense. :-/

Last edited:
Technically you can't transfer OEM licenses unless the PC died and replaced it with something equivalent to it.

Computer A: laptop with Vista OEM license
Computer B: Desktop Computer with no OS

will this work: transfer OEM license from computer A to computer B and use a copy of windows 7 upgrade on computer B.

stupid M$ upgrade nonsense. :-/

I'm confused....

Why not just do a full install of W7 on computer B?
If you're just trying to save the $$$ (of full vs upgrade) it's not worth the savings. And, anyway, we're talking the beta W7 which is free. As I say, when W7 is released just buy the full install. You'll be happier in the long run.

The egg has Vista Ultimate, with a free W7 upgrade for 189.99. As far as I know, that's the cheepest way to get to W7 (Ultimate) at the present time. For other versions, MS is runing a 50% off sale on preorders now (ends 7/11).

Last edited:
'tis what pushed me into the open arms of the waiting penguin(wearing the Tux); just got into the limo and drove off into the night...

advice taken to heart. trying 64-bit 9.04 on my notebook right now. :)

EDIT: very impressed with the initial impression... it's like a free OS X... (donning flame suit)

Last edited:
Back