• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bfg geforce gtx 260 artifacting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth34

Registered
When i first played crysis, the screen would all of a sudden get these little white things all over, something resembling snow flakes or something. This also happened with splinter cell chaos theory, and now it is happening with wanted weapons of fate. when it does it, everything freezes, and i have to restart my computer.

The video card is the oc edition, factory overclocked, and i have my fan speed set at 60 percent. when i check the temps while playing wanted, there often very near or above 80. Is that a reason why its artifacting, and how could i fix it.

Overheating can indeed cause artifacting in games. There are typically five reasons a graphics card can overheat.

1) Too high ambient temperatures. If you are feeling warm, your card is cooking.
2) Too much dust in the card's fan/heatsink.
3) Insufficient case ventilation (due to dust or case design).
4) Too high of an overclock.
5) Faulty graphics card.

If it isn't one of the first four, then you may need to RMA the graphics card.

As for the temperatures themselves, the card should be able to handle your stated temperatures (around 80ºC). How are you checking it during gaming? You need something that keeps a log of previous temperatures such as a recent GPU-Z or Rivatuner because anything that only gives you a spot temperature will be inaccurate the moment you swap out of a game as temperatures can drop pretty fast.

The video card is the oc edition, factory overclocked, and i have my fan speed set at 60 percent. when i check the temps while playing wanted, there often very near or above 80. Is that a reason why its artifacting, and how could i fix it.

Try putting your fan speed back to auto so it can speed up if it needs to.

Try running the fan at 100% and see if it helps.

I just played the game for over 30 minutes, before i could barley play 5, with the fan at 100, and no artifacting or freezing.

and according to the gpu z logs, the max temp was 85, but average was around 72-77.

i am used evga precision to set my fan speed. Should i have it on auto or manual?

I going to play now with the fan at 60 and see what happens.

I just played the game for over 30 minutes, before i could barley play 5, with the fan at 100, and no artifacting or freezing.

and according to the gpu z logs, the max temp was 85, but average was around 72-77.

i am used evga precision to set my fan speed. Should i have it on auto or manual?

I going to play now with the fan at 60 and see what happens.

Leave it on auto.. If 60 isn't enough to keep up with the heat output, it's gonna overheat and you're not going to have a good time.

Just set the fan speed at 60, auto, and about 10 minutes into the game, it frooze with wierd white things on the screen. When i restarted the computer, the temp right before the freezing was only at 80.

which is weird since with the fan speed at 100, and temps went up to 85, and no white snowflakes or freezing.

what would happen, besides being loud, if i set the card fan speed at 100%, and left it there. WOuld i wreck the fan or something?

what would happen, besides being loud, if i set the card fan speed at 100%, and left it there. WOuld i wreck the fan or something?

BFG has one of the most accomodating RMA services, i believe they cross ship for RMA now as well. If your getting artifacting then imho you should exchange the card. I've never had a card i couldnt set the fanspeed to a barely audible level and not have any trouble, usually around 60-70%. If it needs the fan @ 100% all the time, then the card itself is faulty.

It'll be fine at 100%. The fan is designed to run at that speed. It might accumulate dust faster, but that's about it.

BFG has one of the most accomodating RMA services, i believe they cross ship for RMA now as well. If your getting artifacting then imho you should exchange the card. I've never had a card i couldnt set the fanspeed to a barely audible level and not have any trouble, usually around 60-70%. If it needs the fan @ 100% all the time, then the card itself is faulty.

Yep, if it's artifacting at stock settings you should try for an RMA.

Possibly work on your case cooling as well.

setting the fan on auto isn't any good...I have a bfg 8800gts oc and it is extremely rare to hear the fan going up...sometimes the card reaches 76-78 and the fan is still on 36% the default speed.
I would put it on 100 whenever Iam playing if I were you....
remove any other cards that are close to the gfx card...

If you keep the chasis covered remove the cover...these cards can fry a chicken at normal conditions...the chasis cover will build up the heat espicially below the card if there is no proper ventilation

Yea I agree, auto isnt the best idea generally its good to place it around 60-75% when you game, and you can leave it at auto when just doing other stuff.

Yeah, auto wont kick it up for a bit. Run it at 100% if you have to. But I will tell you, even the 65nm version I never had it past 50% and it never broke 70C. Maybe clean out some dust or look at better case ventiliation.

I agree with the RMA saying your case is clean and at least decently ventilated.

okay, i had set the fan at 100 a few times during gaming, and it seemed like it worked for wanted weapons of fate. But then i tried playing call of jaurez bound in blood, with the fan at 100, and it showed white objects and frooze after about 15 minutes.

i had gpuz going at the time, and the temps were 86 at the time.

i could post my log file if it would be any help.

Back