• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does everyone with i7 run turbo mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

Just curious. I understand the whole higher speed on single threaded app's, but if you are running 4 cores @ 4ghz plus, theres really no need?

I see everyone posting up CPUz shots of like 4.4, 4.5ghz w/ 21x multi, but thats really not the "true" overclock of 4 cores and can be very misleading.

Just curious on other peoples thoughts.

Because I can get 4.2 GHZ absolutely stable at 20X133 with turbo @ 1.3v and it take 1.375 to get 4.2 without turbo. Less volts equals less heat with the same power when it kicks in.

Mines en route I guess, I was curious about that one myself, but will have to play around a bit I suppose.

Seems a lot of people on extreme messing around a little someone had even cross flashed a bios to get 21 stable, but I'm not sticking my neck out like that atm heh.

:beer:

It can drop 2 cores and boost up the other 2. i dont think the architecture allows for that while the system is overclocked though. i would think turning it off would add some stability.

Meh, I've never even touched that option. There's no need.
With a fully HT'd 920 perfectly stable at 4GHz what's the point?

With a fully HT'd 920 perfectly stable at 4GHz what's the point?

That's a good point. With Turbo, you have to activate Speedstep. If I turn off turbo and just run at 4 GHz all the time, I can bump the voltage down to
1.25. A 50% o/c with hardly any vcore increase is good enough I guess.

Back