• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network card slow computer down...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ufo

Registered
Hi all:

I just upgrade my P3-500 to AMD XP1800 system and there is a problem. The 3COM network card is slowing my system down. With the card, the time it takes to boot into window is 22 sec, but if I take off the card, it only take 8 sec to load win ME, which is a more reasonable time for Xp1800 (I guess). I have tried all PCI slot but still... it takes 20 secs at least. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it? I can't even overcolck it since it is way too slow at first.....

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forums!

[/run:standard new_member.blurb]
There are a bunch of Beginners Guides and articles HERE .
[/end:blurb]

There is an excellent one on networking in there as well.

My first question is: do you have it configured to use DHCP or a static ip address? I have seen a number of people have problems with boot times because their network card was set up for DHCP but they didn't have a DHCP server to get an address from. Even if you do have a dhcp server available, static ips load faster too.

If that is NOT the issue, here is another possible: a hardware conflict (resolveable). It is possible that the os has to shift resource allocations around to get all the hardware to work at each boot up: sometimes shifting to a different pci slot can solve this difficulty.

Last solution: don't turn it off! That way you could crunch ( or Fold) more work units for your preferred OC.Com Team!

Hope this helps out

you can speed up the process if youre not using the clients but the slow down is pretty normal when starting up the os.

I think I have it configed to DHCP. I am using @home now and infact, I didn't setanything up. WinMe just does it automaticly.

I have went to Circus City and bought a Netgeat Network card and put it back in.... Still, it takes 22 sec to load Windows ME.

Does anyone have the same problem? How long does it take you to load up windows (begining from the Win logo till you see the bleen screen)? My friend told me that he takes 45 sec to load up Win2000. But what do you guys think about 22 sec on Win me w/network card and 8 sec without network card.

Thanks for your help!

Huh, 22 secocnds...be happy.

My satelite modem uses a proxy server and internal networking which is all configured on the fly at bootup. (and no, I have no control over settings in it). I also have a raid setup, which lengthens the boot time (another bios to start). It takes about 2.5-3 minutes to boot from the button till the hour glass goes away.

There are worse things.:cool:

all the computers i added a nic got slowed down when starting up the os.

Back