• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are these good temps? semi-good overclock on P5Q3 deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eichhorn18

So I finally have found the time I needed to twiddle with my computer. I have found a stable overclock with the Asus P5Q3 deluxe, Patriot DDR3- 1333 2x2GB sticks PDC34G1333ELK and the Q9450 Yorkfield revision C1.

CPU ratio = 8
FSB = 400
DRAM = 1334
1st memory timings = 9-9-9-24-9-82-12-6
2nd memory timings = 15- Auto for rest
3rd memory timings = 24- Auto for rest
Common performance level = 08

VCC = 1.2250 V
DRAM = 1.70 V (I am a little weary of this, the sticks are rated for 1.5V but I cannot get a stable system even without the overclock unless this is at 1.7)
NB = 1.44 V
SB = 1.10 V

This puts me up to 3.2 GHz @ 1.22V. Now my temps are what concerns me. My cores at idle are roughly 49, 49, 51, 51 deg C.
In Prime 95 at 97.5% load they max out around 65-69 deg C after only 5 minutes. I stopped Prime and wanted to check what people thought before doing more testing.

I have a similar system and temps on water are in the 60's under load. This is however in a room that is almost always 35*+ due to it being the top floor. As far as the RAM, 1.7v does not sound like it is excessive for ddr3. The lowest I ever heard for DDR3 is 1.6v.

if the cooler is the one in your sig, that is the problem. zalman are really not very good anymore(other than their new 10x) and anything other than the 9000 series is garbage for coolers, especially for quads

look into a tower-style cooler, there are millions of good ones out there right now. Best bang for your buck right now(and one of the best out there even) is the mugen 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185093&Tpk=mugen 2

very good cooler and fits nearly every socket

as far as the temps, those are kinda high, you really don't want to hit higher than 60-65 on those chips and if it got to nearly 70 within 5 minutes you know it's only going to get higher from there. I would go for a new cooler and see how things go, you should notice a huge difference

Last edited:
what you want to do is keep the distance to TJmax above 25 or so(20 if you want to push it). you can enable show delta to tjmax in coretemp and just use that. I was going with the old core 2(65nm) tjmax of 85(thus keeping it under 65), but I don't know what the tjmax is for the 45nm quads, but regardless, what it shows as delta to tjmax will be accurate so you can use that to gauge what temp you should keep it under

I think the tjmax for the 45nm is 95, so that would make sense to keep it under 70

Back