• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo for X2 550 and HD 4850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jithint

I'm getting a new PC. I decided on an AMD Phenom II X2 550 for CPU and HD 4850 512 MB for GPU. Please suggest an AM2+ motherboard. I don't plan to go X-fire and won't be doing much overclocking. It should support two IDE/PATA drives. My budget is $100. Will 4 GB 800MHz DDR2 be enough? I read in ASUS's website that Windows XP does not recognize more than 3GB RAM. Is it right?

GigaByte MA770-UD3 (rev. 2.0). It was built with no CF support which suits your needs as you said and is quite solid and stable... and the price is good. Revision 2.0 of that mobo has newer SB 710 which has ACC and therefore can theoretically unlock 4 cores on that CPU. It's bigger sister MA790X-UD4P is probably the best buy of all AM2+ mobos...

Get the ASRock A790GMH/128M. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157162

It's a microatx board but it will probably be the best one you ever buy. It has so many options to play around with. and it's very easy to navigate. plus the board late it wonderful.

I have it's little brother (A780GMH/128M)
there the same boards in everyway except the A790 has 790/750 chipset while mine has 780/710. This board is very reliable.

Oh and your ram question, you can run 2X2gb sticks of ram no problem, but yes all 32 bit operating systems will only recognize 3.25 gb of ram. It's still better than 2gb, and there's no difference between 3.25 and the full 4gb, because 64 bit operating systems use more resources in the paging file.

Back