• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2+ advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Got a friend who is looking to make a budget upgrade, namely a new motherboard (sticking with the Phenom so assuming it has to be AM2/AM2+) and/or a new GPU/PSU. Specs as follows :

Foxconn A7GMX-K/S
Phenom II X2 Black Edition 550, 3400 MHz (17 x 200)
4 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
Radeon HD 6670
Realtek ALC662 @ ATI SB700
WD Green WD7500AADS 750GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
WD My Passport Ultra 1TB USB 3.0
PSU 3amp 350w (?)

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Last edited:
don't forget about adding an ssd, this makes the rig snappy and everybody happy.

Aie got a 64gb ready to send with a few new case fans. Motherboard is showing signs of age though, and anything better would be much appreciated :)

it's going to found used.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking am3 and am3+ are ddr3 only and am2+ is ddr2 or ddr3.

Yes the 550 would work in any current AM3+ board and wouldn't need anything too robust to run it being a dual core.

So can anyone point out a decent budget am3 board/PSU pretty please with sugar on top ? I'm assuming he won't overclock much but at least 6 phases would be nice for stability :)

Unless I can get a better one dirt cheap, at least for now he's sticking to it.

Giga rev 1 or 2 ? And out of curiosity, does it have core unlocker ? You never know if he's X2 can turn into an X4 :)

Last edited:
It says it's a REV1 as for core unlock ??? Do some reading

I know what it says, i meant is the rev 2 better or do i stick with the one you linked ? some rev2+ are actually worse. Manual says it has core unlock, cool thanks.

Haven't heard much about that model and revs. I know it really matters on the UD3. While you have the manual handy check BIOS for APM/HPC

Back