• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lighting Strike Rebuild

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DvBoard

I come here asking for a bit of help. I had the misfourtine of recently loosing my computer to a lighting strike (the one listed as "current" in my sig). It did have a surge protector, but that's a whole other story. Going to get a battery backup w/better surge protection this time. Fried quite a few items and I've decided since i'm 3/4th's of the way in my normal upgrade cycle, i'm not going to rebuild it as it was. Not that I could anyways, they don't seem to sell half the parts anymore.

Coming into this build I'm making the assumption that I can use nothing from my old computer besides the case (which I may even replace, but i do really like). I didn't have any trouble running anything on my rig, and aside from not having an external backup, it didn't really have any issues. I do want to do a bit of futureproofing though.

Thus we come to my dilema. I normally put at least a few months into searching for parts, reviews, etc. making sure I can get the best deal I can. Can't do that this time as I need a computer for school/entertainment/etc..

I've done a bit of searching, but need help on the specifics. I know things are headed toward the multi-threaded/core direction, so i'd like to go quad core. I had just upgraded my video card, and would like to stick with at least 1GB of memory on it as well. I've been all Intel/ATi since I started, but would consider going AMD/Nvidia or any combination of if the performance for the price is right.

Last but not least is price. I don't know how much insurance is gonna cover for my old PC, but the last two builds have happened for a bit over $1k, so consider that a max. I dunno if i'd really even need that much power. My monitor and keyboard/mouse still work so I don't need to worry about those.

I get into a variation of things, and I'd like for the machine to be able to do just about anything I want to throw at it (within reason) without it dying.

Suggestions?
Do I spend the $$$ for the i7? Go AMD and get the Phenom II X4? Or try to stick to old guns and get a Core 2 Quad?
Do I stick with XP (I have a copy) or buy Vista?

Thanks! :bday:

Just a random tip:
Often tying a knot in the surge protector cord will help it's save vs. lightning.
Not always, but often.

Did the entire computer eat it, or just the cpu/mobo? Might still be some functioning bits there.

If you have the cash for i7 there is no denying that it is the fastest. But if you're not encoding or doing other heavy number crunching a PhII is just as good(except with 3+ GPUs) and is cheaper.

I like XP, personally.

Personally i would get an AMD system, a PhII X4 of some sort, the vast majority all OC to 3.6-3.8 regardless of where they start, though the 955/965 are easier to get there.

I come here asking for a bit of help. I had the misfourtine of recently loosing my computer to a lighting strike (the one listed as "current" in my sig). It did have a surge protector, but that's a whole other story. Going to get a battery backup w/better surge protection this time. Fried quite a few items and I've decided since i'm 3/4th's of the way in my normal upgrade cycle, i'm not going to rebuild it as it was. Not that I could anyways, they don't seem to sell half the parts anymore.

Coming into this build I'm making the assumption that I can use nothing from my old computer besides the case (which I may even replace, but i do really like). I didn't have any trouble running anything on my rig, and aside from not having an external backup, it didn't really have any issues. I do want to do a bit of futureproofing though.

Thus we come to my dilema. I normally put at least a few months into searching for parts, reviews, etc. making sure I can get the best deal I can. Can't do that this time as I need a computer for school/entertainment/etc..

I've done a bit of searching, but need help on the specifics. I know things are headed toward the multi-threaded/core direction, so i'd like to go quad core. I had just upgraded my video card, and would like to stick with at least 1GB of memory on it as well. I've been all Intel/ATi since I started, but would consider going AMD/Nvidia or any combination of if the performance for the price is right.

Last but not least is price. I don't know how much insurance is gonna cover for my old PC, but the last two builds have happened for a bit over $1k, so consider that a max. I dunno if i'd really even need that much power. My monitor and keyboard/mouse still work so I don't need to worry about those.

I get into a variation of things, and I'd like for the machine to be able to do just about anything I want to throw at it (within reason) without it dying.

Suggestions?
Do I spend the $$$ for the i7? Go AMD and get the Phenom II X4? Or try to stick to old guns and get a Core 2 Quad?

sorry for your loss :( im sure its resting peacefully now, i cant help ya hardware wise but for os i say use xp til windows 7 comes out and then get it, its alot better than vista and xp

Suggestions?

Antec 1200
Corsair TX 750
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
or
EVGA 132 BL
6GB of high end memory (ask RAM people what they think is the best DDR3 for the money)
If you're going single GPU and don't mind spending some money, the GTX 285's are great from Nvidia...
If you want to stick with ATI make sure you get a crossfire board. I'm pretty sure the 132BL isn't one. And maybe use 2 4890s
i7 920
aftermarket cooler

It works out to like 1500 bucks or so..

Just a random tip:
Often tying a knot in the surge protector cord will help it's save vs. lightning.
Not always, but often.

Did the entire computer eat it, or just the cpu/mobo? Might still be some functioning bits there.

If you have the cash for i7 there is no denying that it is the fastest. But if you're not encoding or doing other heavy number crunching a PhII is just as good(except with 3+ GPUs) and is cheaper.

I like XP, personally.

Personally i would get an AMD system, a PhII X4 of some sort, the vast majority all OC to 3.6-3.8 regardless of where they start, though the 955/965 are easier to get there.
http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9701967776/m/86019798001

Where did you hear that tying a knot will do anything more then shorten the length of the cable.

Sorry for your loss. Most surge devices are not rated for lightning strikes, only small spikes in the power grid, unless they are specifically made for lightning protection. Transient Voltage Surge Suppression is the only way to protect the electrical service wiring in your house. As far as data cable protection, devices used in the lightning protection field, are all self sacrificing units, and would need to be replaced once it is utilized. These are all units used in stopping in coming surges from exterior sources. This is how most peoples appliances are damaged, in electrical storms. People get a false sense of security when they plug their beloved electronics into a store bought surge suppressor, and are dumbfounded when their 3000 joule surge strip doesn't stop a 2 billion joule lightning strike:) OK that's a little overboard... that would be a direct lightning strike. A lot of surges range in the 4000 to 15000 joule range, depending on how close you are to the direct strike.

I would definitely recommend i7, if you want to be able to do everything, and you should be able too in the price range you listed.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9701967776/m/86019798001

Where did you hear that tying a knot will do anything more then shorten the length of the cable.

I too would like to know? Infact I would advice against doing this, tightly coiled wire heats up under heavy current and also weakens the copper wire. For example have you ever had a hover that retracts the wire inside itself? The manual always says you should pull out all the wire before using it, My friend ignored that advice once and melted the rubber casing around the wire. Luckily his house had trip fuses so no harm was done, lol

I'm not saying one knot will do the same but I still wouldn't bother.

Just a random tip:
Not always, but often.

I like XP, personally.

Never heard that trick, but i don't think I'll be trying it. Sounds like it's supposed to blow the cord out. I'd be afraid that would start a fire.

I'm not sure if all the bits got hit, but since i know the MB and Video Card got hit, i'm hesitant to trust that even something that works would be as reliable. Nothing like losing more parts later that were weakened or such by the lighting.

Only planning on a single GPU, so I'll definattly consider the PHII X4. Is it worth getting the higher listed ones vs. bottom/middle of the line?

Sorry for your loss. Most surge devices are not rated for lightning strikes, only small spikes in the power grid, unless they are specifically made for lightning protection. Transient Voltage Surge Suppression is the only way to protect the electrical service wiring in your house. As far as data cable protection, devices used in the lightning protection field, are all self sacrificing units, and would need to be replaced once it is utilized. These are all units used in stopping in coming surges from exterior sources. This is how most peoples appliances are damaged, in electrical storms. People get a false sense of security when they plug their beloved electronics into a store bought surge suppressor, and are dumbfounded when their 3000 joule surge strip doesn't stop a 2 billion joule lightning strike:) OK that's a little overboard... that would be a direct lightning strike. A lot of surges range in the 4000 to 15000 joule range, depending on how close you are to the direct strike.

I would definitely recommend i7, if you want to be able to do everything, and you should be able too in the price range you listed.
Our house took a direct hit. Hopefully i'll get to a friends house in a bit and be able to post a picture of the entry point. Posting from work now.

Thanks for the recommendation on the i7. Looks like it's at least narrowed down to between the PHII X4 & i7 now for me to consider.

Antec 1200
Corsair TX 750
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
or
EVGA 132 BL
6GB of high end memory (ask RAM people what they think is the best DDR3 for the money)
If you're going single GPU and don't mind spending some money, the GTX 285's are great from Nvidia...
If you want to stick with ATI make sure you get a crossfire board. I'm pretty sure the 132BL isn't one. And maybe use 2 4890s
i7 920
aftermarket cooler

It works out to like 1500 bucks or so..
Might be a bit costly, but this gives me a good place to start when considering a i7 build. Of course if I can make it last for 4 years or more the price/year won't be bad compared to upgrading sooner i suppose.

sorry for your loss :( im sure its resting peacefully now, i cant help ya hardware wise but for os i say use xp til windows 7 comes out and then get it, its alot better than vista and xp
That's what i was prbly going to do, but i heard you can't direct upgrade from XP to 7, but you can from Vista to 7. Is this true?

Our house took a direct hit. Hopefully i'll get to a friends house in a bit and be able to post a picture of the entry point. Posting from work now.

You're very lucky there wasn't a structure fire then. The only way to take care of those, is with a properly designed and installed lightning protection system. Lightning protection and TVSS, and you'll have nothing to worry about on the storm front. I'm glad your house is still standing ;)

I was told by a computer tech who swore he'd seen it work. Not the first time some tech or another is full of it.

Glad you're alright after a house strike, that concept scares the hell out of me.

If you want to stick to a grand go PII. If you can go to $1500 then i7 would be the way to go. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

You can get an i7 for 1k....:rolleyes: :bday:

i7 920 $280 ($199 if you have a microcenter near you on "Mars")
MSI X58 Pro-e $190
Geil 6 GB DDR3 1600 $116 (3GB if you are only running 32bit OS is cheaper)
WD Caviar Black 640GB $75
HD4890 $190
Corsair 650TX $99
(Your current case)
$50 for an aftermarket cooler of your choice.

= $950 (-$20 MIR rebate not inc. in price, nor is $199 Microcenter price)

Last edited:
Haha, no Microcenter near me that i know of. I'm actually in Southern Indiana. I need to update that since i've moved.

Is the stock cooler on the i7 any good?

Attached is a picture of the only outside damage from the strike. It's actually the 2nd time our house has been hit. Last time was over 10 years ago though. We've gotten VERY lucky with not having much structure damage, but this time it did a number on a lot of electronics.

Thanks for the input so far. It's been very helpful. :bday:

Attachments

• Photo08051935_smaller.jpg
    Photo08051935_smaller.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 49
Lucky indeed. The stock cooler for the i7 isn't very good at anything but stock speed, even then things can get very hot. A after cooler is highly recommended.

It is reccomended, these things put out some heat. You will be pleased as pie with it at stock speeds though until you want to plunk down the $50 or so for a better cooler. i7 or Ph II x4 you will be happy with. But if you have the budget ($950) for the i7. I would get that hands down.

And WOW on that strike pic!

Back