• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP- List of services u can disable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoPMatrix

I just installed XP on my other comp today...
And there are a ton of services running that kill recorces,
I was just wondering if anyone had a nice lil list they had layin around of the services that u can disable and the ones u have to leave on...
I've been to alot of XP tweak sites but they only tell ya how to disable em, not which ones u can...

And knowing what I could disable in taskmanger would be great =)
16 things running in there :p
I've learned what I can disable in 98, but XP looks crazy to me still :p

I looked for this same info on XP tweak sites and didn't find anything either...so here's what I did...

first, I opened up msconfig and disabled all the start-up programs...things got alot faster :D

then I went down the list of processes and terminated anything running under my name (one at a time to see if it affected anything...if it did I turned it back on), then under network. I left all the processes running under SYSTEM alone...half my list was gone, but I have never noticed a diffeerence to this day (well, other than it being faster, of course)

You have to do this through trial and error...each user's setup will be a little different...

hope that helps :burn:

Back