• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon II x4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragöøn

Any news on whether or not they will ever be available? According to Xbitlabs and pcgameshardware, they are due in August and September, respectively. Xbit mentions that the x4 will be based on the Propus core, instead of Regor. Will this be two Regors? Or something else?

AMD changes core names wildly, the name doesn't really tell you much of anything.
The PhII line is a nice example, with x4 x3 and x2 all having different names despite being the same silicon.

Regor doubled the L2/core compared to Deneb but the L3 was left out. So performance is 8% slower on the regor in the worst case but could get few % faster in rare cases due to the differences in cache size.

On the other hand propus will have to make due with the same cache as Deneb so clock for clock it will be slower than regor if the extra cores can't be put to use. Recently I read rumors that it might even have less L2 than Deneb, I hope that's not the case.

I would expect AMD to launch these around the same time as Intel's new socket, but there is no solid info on it yet, which makes it impossible to launch in august as it should be known in the channel by now.

That's a CPU that's seen many delays and those delays were usually only revealed at the last minute when it was supposed to launch. Hence I can't say anything specific about it's launch. Its starting to sound like Itaniums relative to me.

We've seen its TDP/Voltage/Current limits become the same as Deneb 95W, which is really unimpressive to me and against what I was expecting: http://www.lostcircuits.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2621&start=20

It won't be Regor but I'm not ruling out some of them being Deneb with L3 disabled. One has already been shown to be so.

And the L3-less performance that has been posted is really not good enough to invest in (although there may be BIOS flaws yet due to the low NB clock, still, that performance is slower than a 2.3GHz Agena while at 2.60GHz).

It would be a foolish move for AMD to offer it at $100 2.6GHz when Agena 2.3GHz, 2.4GHz and 2.5GHz is cheaper and faster.

Just to update this thread, the Athlon II X4 620 now listed at the Egg
for $125, as of this posting. Price seems a little high?

Price is high, considering an 810 PII is like $20 more. But CPU's are always priced high when first released, the 550 was $125 or so when newegg first put it on their site. Within 2 weeks it was down to $100.

Plus I was thinking the Athlon II X4 would have 1mb cache per core, it still only has 512kb, what a bummer.
I don't think the new athlon X4 line will do that well, I mean right now it looks like a gen 1 phenom would do better. Pair up a 9950 vs the 620, not really sure which would win at this point.

The Athlon II x4 was supposed to be a regor based quad (with 4x1mb L2), but for whatever reason that didn't make it and it's a denab with no L3.

The new athlon x4 will probably drop 20-30 bucks in price, making it by far the cheapest quad core around, and probably a very cool running part as well.

Price is high, considering an 810 PII is like $20 more. But CPU's are always priced high when first released, the 550 was $125 or so when newegg first put it on their site. Within 2 weeks it was down to $100.

Plus I was thinking the Athlon II X4 would have 1mb cache per core, it still only has 512kb, what a bummer.
I don't think the new athlon X4 line will do that well, I mean right now it looks like a gen 1 phenom would do better. Pair up a 9950 vs the 620, not really sure which would win at this point.

It's really hard for anyone to be saying that right now seeing as how there are no reviews for it

I'm just having a hard time seeing what AMD is trying to do with this chip.

There is small information going around that the Athlon II X4 can be made into a Phenom II X4. This is done by using the ACC to enable the L3 cache.

Other than this, there are no other reviews or information.

Cheapest quad with a decent core. Forgot how cheap the low mhz PhI's were/are.

Someone buy an Athlon II x4 RQ and test it.

You know, I've been thinking. What has me really curious is, if this chip is based off deneb architecture, does it actually have the L3 cache but it's ''locked''? I wonder if, similar to those using the Phenom II 810, enabling ACC would ''unlock'' the L3 cache in this chip?
If this is true, than once this chip falls down to $100 or so in a couple weeks, it will be actually a pretty good deal if the L3 would unlock you'd basically have an 810 Phenom II with full working 6mb of L3 cache for really cheap. Interesting.

Back