• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help picking a GPU upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleepy_Steve

I'm getting tired of my old x1950xt, it does its job most of the time, but I fear its showing its age in some of the newer games I sometimes think about picking up. Hell, it could never even run an instance of EQ2 at max settings in each monitor. I won't be dealing w/ ati when it is replaced as I'm tired of the random driver issues.

The system is a Q9550 w/ 8gb of ram (ram increase happening at the same time or before the GPU). Its also running 6 HDD's, so there is probably decent load on the PSU at times. I think i upgraded the 610w to something in the 850w range, but I can't remember. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd like to switch to a two video card setup for under $300 put into the cards. Is there anything out there from nVidia that will do more than a pair of 9800GT's with LESS power? Using less power is the key here, not overall efficiency due to the unknown / probably limiting situation with the PSU that I'd rather not replace, lol cheap.

I'm getting tired of my old x1950xt, it does its job most of the time, but I fear its showing its age in some of the newer games I sometimes think about picking up. Hell, it could never even run an instance of EQ2 at max settings in each monitor. I won't be dealing w/ ati when it is replaced as I'm tired of the random driver issues.

The system is a Q9550 w/ 8gb of ram (ram increase happening at the same time or before the GPU). Its also running 6 HDD's, so there is probably decent load on the PSU at times. I think i upgraded the 610w to something in the 850w range, but I can't remember. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd like to switch to a two video card setup for under $300 put into the cards. Is there anything out there from nVidia that will do more than a pair of 9800GT's with LESS power? Using less power is the key here, not overall efficiency due to the unknown / probably limiting situation with the PSU that I'd rather not replace, lol cheap.

I believe, but I might be mistaken. A GTX280 peforms better AND draws less power than 2 9800GTs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-gtx-280,1953-25.html

I assume 2 x 9800GTs draw the same amount, or more power than a 9800GX2

but if you must do a dual setup, I don't see any 2 nvidia cards drawing less power than a pair of 9800GT's whilst being more powerful

theres no driver issues with the 4XXX series, it twas the old cards that had them and for that price you could get a 2 4870's in crossfire or a extreme 4890 :D

Back