• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Velociraptor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't buy 'em. They have a horribly high rate of failure. I'd take an SSD any day over a velociraptor.

But, if you are absolutely bent on buying one, the egg is a fine place to buy.

instead of a velociraptor I went with 2x 1TB Western digital Black edition drives. I put em in a matrix raid and I have speed and tons of space and it was cheaper too.

I wouldn't bother with a VRaptor at this point. Either go for a less expensive good 7200 RPM drive like a WD Black or Blue or pony up for an SSD. If you go for an SSD though be prepared to do a lot of research or just get an Intel one.

I got my velociraptor for $150 and I thought it was a great deal. I'm also using a couple of 1tb wd blacks but I saw it somewhere and the guys from wd themselves says that blacks are not meant for raiding, hence they have re3's.... I use to have a 74gb Raptor Gen. 1 and having that small of a space was hard for me, that's why when I got the 300gb, I was so happy I could finally install all the apps/games I wanted. Then SSD came and putting me back to the position I didnt wanna be in.

I got my velociraptor for $150 and I thought it was a great deal. I'm also using a couple of 1tb wd blacks but I saw it somewhere and the guys from wd themselves says that blacks are not meant for raiding, hence they have re3's.... I use to have a 74gb Raptor Gen. 1 and having that small of a space was hard for me, that's why when I got the 300gb, I was so happy I could finally install all the apps/games I wanted. Then SSD came and putting me back to the position I didnt wanna be in.

RE3s are enterprise level; so I'd say that guy is just confused, there's nothing about the Black series drives that makes them more prone to failure when running in RAID.

Matrix RAID over VRs any day for me.

RE3s are enterprise level; so I'd say that guy is just confused, there's nothing about the Black series drives that makes them more prone to failure when running in RAID.

Matrix RAID over VRs any day for me.

LOL at you, how about VR's in matrix raid. :p

LOL, guess I mean a matrix raid of caviar blacks other a single vr. :D
I have multiple, I'm looking to pick up another in the near future so I have 3. All my PC's end up having WD 10k drives of some kind in them.

Back