• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on cooling Athlon, too hot with stock fan/sink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paranode

Hey I'm new to the forum and my knowledge about cooling systems and installing them is rather limited. I put together my computer, so I'm not in the dark about how it all works, but my mobo came with processor installed with heatsink and fan already attached so I didn't get the experience of doing it myself. Anyways, I have an Athlon T-bird running at 1.2Ghz, and right now it's not overclocked. I want to overclock it because I've seen various people do it with success around 1.4Ghz. My problem is that the CPU is running at 55C with the current heatsink and fan on it, and I know that's a bit hot. So I am asking for any recommendations on a system to cool this down enough so I can safely overclock it, or even if I don't I still want it to be cooler. Anyone have suggestions for a low-cost(maybe $20 or less) solution to this problem? I don't really know what brands are good and what they'll bring my CPU temp down to. Thanks for any help.

paranode said:
Hey I'm new to the forum and my knowledge about cooling systems and installing them is rather limited. I put together my computer, so I'm not in the dark about how it all works, but my mobo came with processor installed with heatsink and fan already attached so I didn't get the experience of doing it myself. Anyways, I have an Athlon T-bird running at 1.2Ghz, and right now it's not overclocked. I want to overclock it because I've seen various people do it with success around 1.4Ghz. My problem is that the CPU is running at 55C with the current heatsink and fan on it, and I know that's a bit hot. So I am asking for any recommendations on a system to cool this down enough so I can safely overclock it, or even if I don't I still want it to be cooler. Anyone have suggestions for a low-cost(maybe $20 or less) solution to this problem? I don't really know what brands are good and what they'll bring my CPU temp down to. Thanks for any help.

I use the Vantec CCK-6035d w 7000rpm delta,$21.00 @ newegg.com , it's a little loud but it seems to work good ,I also used Arctic silver on it,this is what I get after 20 minutes of unreal>look here and here and this too

Last edited:
you could get an sk6 for about 20 bucks.. that would do you great.. look on the main page for a list of heatsinks, and you could look on plycon.com for prices..

Re: Re: Need advice on cooling Athlon, too hot with stock fan/sink

crazyman said:

I use the Vantec CCK-6035d w 7000rpm delta,$21.00 @ newegg.com , it's a little loud but it seems to work good ,I also used Arctic silver on it,this is what I get after 20 minutes of unreal>

well u beat me, but thats a very strange monitor app u got for the temps.. never seen it be4

Re: Re: Re: Need advice on cooling Athlon, too hot with stock fan/sink

Dissolved said:

well u beat me, but thats a very strange monitor app u got for the temps.. never seen it be4

ya! it came with my Dragon+,I also use MBM5.1,they both show the same data,but this one loads faster and looks cool,,,LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice on cooling Athlon, too hot with stock fan/sink

crazyman said:

ya! it came with my Dragon+,I also use MBM5.1,they both show the same data,but this one loads faster and looks cool,,,LOL

i hear it reads temps wrong, and uses up resourese lol

I changed my multiplier from 9 to 10.5, making it a 1.4Ghz instead of a 1.2Ghz and I left my case off and it was running fine at 51C. I ran through 3DMark2001 and my score went up about 150 points. I think I'll invest in that Vantec with the Delta to get the temp down and it looks like I should be able to easily OC it. Thanks for your help.

paranode said:
I changed my multiplier from 9 to 10.5, making it a 1.4Ghz instead of a 1.2Ghz and I left my case off and it was running fine at 51C. I ran through 3DMark2001 and my score went up about 150 points. I think I'll invest in that Vantec with the Delta to get the temp down and it looks like I should be able to easily OC it. Thanks for your help.

well good luck ;)

Back