• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Player

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is the software you have installed VLC?

I have totum movie player and xine installed on debian. I used the synaptic package manager to install it via debian repository. I had slackware for a short time (x config didn't agree with my comptuer) and xine played DVD's on that. So I am wondering if there is something blocking it from playing on debian and how I could fix it.

You need to install decss (libdvdcss2) to decode DVDs. It may be in a non-standard repo.
Since I use Ubuntu and not Debian i'm not sure what repo you need to look in.

Ubuntu is based on Debian and it looks almost exactly the same. Also most of Ubuntu's files come from the Debian repository if I am not mistaken.

You aren't going to get dvd playback out of the Debian or Ubuntu repositories - it would be illegal if you could. The easiest solution is to just install VLC, but if you want to go with your solution maybe have a look at: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/DVD-Playback-HOWTO/

This is why most linux (and most windows) don't play DVDs out of the box. I think M$ worked somehting out so that newer versions can, but my older XP install wouldn't play them until i installed 3rd party software. The appeal of linux is that you need only add their 3rd party repo and then you don't have to deal with the ad-ware that comes with some divx codecs or decription software.

Na, I ran Vista Ultimate on here for some time before moving over to Linux and it didn't play DVD's either. Still have to have the Nero addon to play them.

Back