• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A friend got me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
We were discussing our audio systems and I said I need some new music to listen to. He said "No, you want no sounds for your system. You do not care about the music"

😭

Guess he has a point.

I look for clarity, I am about to get a ultrasonic record cleaner and I have moved to elliptical styluses for my indoor record player.

Help me! I am turning into a true audiophile.

Everything is pumped into the PC. Not through the PC but into the PC.

Not sure what the title or first line means..... so we'll start below the emoji, lol.

The snap, crackle, and pop of vinyl is what make it vinyl... why would you want to get rid of that?! :p

Never went past a spray cleaner and the tool to wipe them clean. I'd be interested to hear your 'butt dyno' experience versus a more basic cleaning.

As far as the stylus, when I had a turntable active in my audio, I typically stuck with conical as the vinyl I have is older and it tends to have more imperfections that an elliptical would pick up (those same snap, crackle, and pops). You lose some fidelity/highs, but, less on other stuff.

Not sure what the title or first line means..... so we'll start below the emoji, lol.

The snap, crackle, and pop of vinyl is what make it vinyl... why would you want to get rid of that?! :p

Never went past a spray cleaner and the tool to wipe them clean. I'd be interested to hear your 'butt dyno' experience versus a more basic cleaning.

As far as the stylus, when I had a turntable active in my audio, I typically stuck with conical as the vinyl I have is older and it tends to have more imperfections that an elliptical would pick up (those same snap, crackle, and pops). You lose some fidelity/highs, but, less on other stuff.
The reason for the cleaner is the stylus. I have a mix of older and newer vinyl. The elliptical will skip (jump lanes) on newer stuff if not perfectly clean.
Post magically merged:

Also, records can be perfectly clear. Much of that snap, crackle, pop is dirt.

I have literally zero experience with new vinyl, so no idea. Are the grooves sized different or something? I would think how an elliptical sits in the groove and makes (more) contact versus the conical it sets in the groove better. Shows what I know, lol.

I also recall hearing that elliptical stylus' are more wear on the record due to the additional tracking force required...so it's a tradeoff. Make sure you're set right on that. Fine line between it working well and bouncing around like a car with hit suspension, lol. On vinyl, I generally lisened to rock and roll versus say, classical or jazz even, where the elliptical would benefit more. Pricey too, those elliptical...

I have literally zero experience with new vinyl, so no idea. Are the grooves sized different or something? I would think how an elliptical sits in the groove and makes (more) contact versus the conical it sets in the groove better. Shows what I know, lol.

I also recall hearing that elliptical stylus' are more wear on the record due to the additional tracking force required...so it's a tradeoff. Make sure you're set right on that. Fine line between it working well and bouncing around like a car with hit suspension, lol. On vinyl, I generally lisened to rock and roll versus say, classical or jazz even, where the elliptical would benefit more. Pricey too, those elliptical...
It does make better contact, you are correct. But that contact can be broken easier. I generally have less issue with older records as they have some ware but changing to an elliptical on old records can make an audible difference as it can hit spots never hit before.

I had to look up what stylus I've been using (Ortofon 2M Red). It's elliptical. I've had it for 4 years. If I wear it out, I might get the $200 blue replacement/upgrade. But honestly I'm perfectly happy with my current setup.

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon -> Rotel A12 (supposed to have a good phono stage) -> KEF Q150 x 2 + martin logan dynamo 600x. All purchased on black Friday sales except the amp which was used on ebay. I also feed the amp from the TV and andover streamer box (which has a pretty lame DAC and doesn't sound much better than bluetooth even using the Rotel DAC, but the bluetooth on the amp stopped working so....).

I had to look up what stylus I've been using (Ortofon 2M Red). It's elliptical. I've had it for 4 years. If I wear it out, I might get the $200 blue replacement/upgrade. But honestly I'm perfectly happy with my current setup.

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon -> Rotel A12 (supposed to have a good phono stage) -> KEF Q150 x 2 + martin logan dynamo 600x. All purchased on black Friday sales except the amp which was used on ebay. I also feed the amp from the TV and andover streamer box (which has a pretty lame DAC and doesn't sound much better than bluetooth even using the Rotel DAC, but the bluetooth on the amp stopped working so....).

Hey, if you like the sound, you are golden! I bought an AptX BT to optical for digital media.

this thread reminded me, i wanted to look up what kind of stylus was on a record player i got at goodwill the other day and come to find out its an elliptical one.
Its also a strange player, its granite topped, Kenwood 2055.

i'll probably keep it and get rid of the audio technica AT-LP60X i found a few months before the kenwood

First of all, what kind of goodwill has that kind of stuff on a regular basis?

Second, I would compare the two and see which offers a better sound and experience. The Kenwood is certainly more valuable, but it is also older and could be in less than perfect condition.

Back