• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is G 1/4" thread is the same as 1/4" BSPP thread?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ramana

Registered
Are they the same type of thread? I am looking to thread a couple of Koolance compression fittings on an Apogee GTZ.

I believe so, with the compression fittings on a gtz though, you will need to use two O-rings per fitting, otherwise it will bite into the black GTZ logo on the block.

G 1/4" is a BSPP thread, at 19 threads per inch. NPSM has nothing to do with these fittings or blocks. You will occasionally see G 1/4" listed as G 1/4" BSPP.

Again, with the compression fitting, just toss a second o-ring on there to make sure it seals well with the GTZ. (there's a collar around the existing o-ring that will hit the black cover on the block, a second allows it to make full contact and compress, sealing the connection)

Could you explain that a little more clearly conumdrum?

I'm not sure I quite follow what you mean there.

The Swiftech logo on the top of the block is raised lettering.
A hose barb has a smaller diameter base, and thus the raised part doesn't interfere. But a compression fitting has a larger diameter at it's base, and that raised logo may keep you from tightening the fitting down all the way.
Check it before installing, you might have to shave that logo down so that your fitting seats all the way down.

:thup:

That's why I was saying use an extra o-ring from an unused fitting. I've seen it suggested on XS before, and I'm planning to do it once the processor comes in for my new build (I got a full set of compression fittings basically free for helping a friend out with his build) but, if that's insufficient than I suppose shaving it down is the only other way to do it.

Shaving the logo down is the first thing I'd do actually, and skip stacking the o-rings.
Ever try to stack two golf balls? Same thing.

That's just me, I got skillz and toolz.

Actually, I recall there being some flattened washer style seals available (performance pc's I think). Much better way to go a stacking.
*here* http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=25603&zenid=ddf95fd66b8fb374e87397cab0ac41bf
That's for fittings with 6 or 7 threads, they have another for fittings with more threads on them.

Last edited:
i thought the easist thing was to just take the larger o-ring from the GTZ barbs it ships with and use those instead of the bits power ones.

That may be the case, My experience doesn't come from having a GTZ (I have a Fuzion v2)... but stacking plain o-rings requires prayer and luck, which still might not be enough.
I'd rather be thought a fool than to remove all doubt. ;)

Last edited:
nice quote from Mr. Lincoln himself.

I've seen a lot of mention (in my research today) that one of the stock o-rings from the GTZ barbs works beautifully. (I also popped that swiftech logo off a few minutes ago... its held on with a VERY weak adhesive.)

Back