• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Move Page file from SSD to mechanical...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I just wanted to get the collective's thoughts on this.

Obviously on a mechanical drive, moving the PF to a seperate drive can help out a bit in terms of heavy PF use and accessing that data so there is no I/O competition on the source (OS) drive. However, seeing as how the seek times are .1ms with SSD, I take it that it would be a performance DECREASE If I moved the PF from an SSD to a mechanical drive? Even if it is short stroked to a 10GB partition?

Thanks for the input!

Keep the pagefile on the SSD.

According to Microsoft:
Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?

Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.

In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that
  • Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
  • Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
  • Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.
In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.

I disable PF on SSD's if using 4 gigs of ram or more , IMHO
Been running that way for over a year flawlessly the seek time is so fast that by the time the command is given the SSD allready has the action...

Thx Chopper and Alpha.

Chopper I think I see you at OCZ Forums as I was looking into the drive a bit more to see if my FW had GC (I believe I have 18C so I should have it).

Back