• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2/3 prices have gone up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wickedout

I paid like $105 for 8GB of DDR2 memory. Now it's up to $145.

DDR3 prices have increased as well. Wonder why the increase in price?

If I want some decent DDR3 memory I know I'll be paying some cash for it.

It has went up, but not by that much. I could get 8gb (4x2gb) of the OCZ gold for $120 at newegg.

BUT you get free shipping :)

They go up and down all year long. Just depends how much stock they have left over from earlier in the year.

The prices always cycle somewhat, but, yeah, they have gone back up overall. They don't seem to really be increasing, so much as normalizing... the DRAM market got pretty flooded a year or so ago, which took the bottom out of prices temporarily. What we're seeing now is the effects of that bubble burst finally wearing off.

Yeah, it kinda sucks that you can't commonly find $15-20/AR 4GB DDR2 kits and such anymore, but, eh, that's how it goes.

Im kinda muot about it, just cause I currently dont need any ram, and we do have the classies. I guess its just good cause I am not in the market. Had I been in the market? Im sure I would be upset :p

They do seem to have gone up, cheapest 2x2gb kit i could find was $50 on newegg (i want at least 800-5-5-5-15), which is up ten or fifteen bucks from march.

I just ran across this little tidbit a few minutes ago while doing a little surfing over at PCPer, and remembering this thread, thought I would add it to the discussion.

DDR2 has hit the price point where you will no longer see it appearing in pre-built systems, just as it has almost disappeared from enthusiast systems. DigiTimes has seen that the average price of DDR2 has hit congruence with the average price of DDR3 as it continues to becomes more expensive to buy. As less companies order DDR2 from factories it becomes a custom run to produce it, therefore costing as much per unit to make as DDR3.

We at PC Perspective saw this coming, not a single system in the Hardware Leaderboard has used DDR2 in several months.

"Recent spot prices for DDR2 1Gb 800MHz chips climbed to US$2, according to DRAMeXchange. The growth momentum accelerated faster than previously expected, and may enable upstream memory makers to stage an early turnaround, industry sources have commented. Average pricing for DDR2 1Gb 800MHz chips rose 4.04% in one day to close at US$2.00 on September 25, according to quotes gathered by DRAMeXchange. The eTT segment also surged 5.55% to reach US$1.94, the firm added.
Nanya Technology, Powerchip Semiconductor Corporation (PSC) and ProMOS Technologies have suffered losses since the second quarter of 2007. Inotera Memories fell into the red in fourth-quarter 2007, and has also remained unprofitable since."

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7817

Back