• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

785gx or 790gx?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobbyc

Hi guys
i wanna build a new low budget system with an amd cpu and either a 785 or 790 mobo with built in grafix. maybe installing a directx 11 grafixcard in the far future. and either a amd 240 or 545 cpu. so what would u prefer? 785 or 790? whats the big difference anyway? 785 is directx 10 capable...but 790 seems to better...?
i use 2gb ocz ddr3 1600. any ideas and suggestions are welcome. but its gotta stay low budget kinda.

thx!

790 is a high end product that supports crossfire thats the only advantage is has over 785 , 790 supports DX10 785 supports dx10.1 , 790 gpu is clocked higher but 785 is more refined version of gpu that is more power efficient and higher performance clock for clock .

790 is a high end product that supports crossfire thats the only advantage is has over 785 , 790 supports DX10 785 supports dx10.1 , 790 gpu is clocked higher but 785 is more refined version of gpu that is more power efficient and higher performance clock for clock .

now what would u choose if u had to??

790 or 785???

If you don't envision yourself wanting to use two GPUs later (crossfire), i'd buy the 785. It has a better, cooler running integrated GPU.

My friend has the 785 and he has yet to complain about speed or anything,, along with a gf 8800 ,, its super fast everything in a instance,, amazing power not even being harnashed properly...once dx11 can do a better job of getting the cpu involved..

I have seen many reviews and it seems that the HTref on the 785G putters out on a lot of boards @ ~265 whereas the Biostar 790GX boards and other boards run HTref @ 300+ in a lot of cases. My MSi 785G board is an example. If you want to OC by a wide margin with a non BE cpu then you need to be careful.

Below are 2 reviews and as I said I have the MSi board.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/29...otherboard_mainstream_785g_tested/index4.html

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2445&page=5

These types of reviews are all over. I have personal EXP with the biostar boards and in the 790GX flavor they are great. I am not saying all 785's are bad and 790GX's are better just try and learn about the product before laying down the money. New egg reviews dont count!!!

Some more:
785 http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2444&page=4
790 http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2379&page=6

Last edited:
I am not saying all 785's are bad and 790GX's are better just try and learn about the product before laying down the money.

790 is better hands down.

But you did say GX is better hands down and it is not , board itself and how it is designed is more important .Chipset by itself does not limit the CPU HT ref clock .

and btw my 790 could not run past 245 , board is not the only limiting factor CPU could be just as well .But you should search for particular board reviews to see what the board is capable of ,that i agree on , but still board will not be the only limiting factor .

F@H & WCG/SETI rigs: Sig System / Denab 905e @ 3.2+ 1.2v+ (HTPC)

It's Deneb :D

But you did say GX is better hands down and it is not , board itself and how it is designed is more important .Chipset by itself does not limit the CPU HT ref clock .

It is though!! just from the numbers. Though it has a lot to do with the MB, the fact is the 785's are not high end boards for the most part. I know it sounds like a self contradiction but the fact is you are more likley to find a great clocking 790 than 785 (that is not to say there are no great clocking 785's out there).

and btw my 790 could not run past 245 , board is not the only limiting factor CPU could be just as well .But you should search for particular board reviews to see what the board is capable of ,that i agree on , but still board will not be the only limiting factor .

This is also true but I tested with 2 boards and 2 CPU and it is not a CPU issue.

It's Deneb :D

I see what you mean, I will leave it that way to keep the confusion level where it is:screwy: If the media and THG can call it denab then why cant I:beer:

I did see this and I was impressed :limky thingy: seems that some of the 785's do real good.

@charlie. As I said I have seen more slow 785 than 790.
@ OP it is really luck of the draw and truth be told if you want the best OC potential you can get buy a BE to go with any board you choose.

Back