• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amer1337

my gf has a laptop, a cheap emachines E620 which has an amd single core processor in it. More specifically an AMD 2650e. It also sports an RS690/RS690m chipset.

Now my question is CAN I drop in a phenom x4 9650 with no issues and run it? that should give this laptop a nice boost in performance.

No the powerdraw would probably cause the thing to burst into flames lol... The Athlon 3250e would be a possible upgrade though.

Whats the wattage on a laptop? Something like 65w for a CPU? If you stay inside that along with the right socket you should be fine. The heat may end up to be higher than you want it though though.

The temps might be to hot if she has it on her knees a lot, my laptop is unbearable after about 30-45mins! but that was after an upgrade to a 3ghz P4 chip!

Hope it works!

2650e(single core) is a 15 watt cpu, 9650 is a 95 watt or 125 watt.
The cooling can't handle it, nor the power supply.
Now a 3250e(dual core) might work, it's a 22w cpu.

Back