• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering 360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I like the game library...

Anybody kill a jasper yet?

How about Falcons?

Thanks.

Rather buy a falcon because HDD is included. If I buy a jasper then slap the HDD on Im really overpaying..

I like the game library...

Anybody kill a jasper yet?

How about Falcons?

Thanks.

Rather buy a falcon because HDD is included. If I buy a jasper then slap the HDD on Im really overpaying..

Umm... Every revision comes with the HDD. The only ones that don't are the "Arcade" units. But it has nothing to do with the motherboard revision.

As I've said a thousand times: It's too late in the game to be getting a 360.

"The Game Library" is nearly identical to the PS3. (Batman Arkham Asylum? Check. Ghostbusters? Check. The EA sports games? Check.) If you haven't played Gears of War yet, you can get it on PC. Dead Rising 2 is about to come out for both systems. So it's really pointless now.

360s are STILL failing. There's still no bluray drive. And now they're even the same price as the PS3.

If you insist on getting one, I've seen plenty of 60 gig refurbs going for $160 or so on places like GoGamer.com.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say: "I told ya so."

You can't get Gears of War 2 on the pc and Gears of War pc is hard to find now and doesn't have as many people playing. You can't get Halo 3 or Halo 3 ODST on the pc. But most games you can get on the pc. I wouldn't get a 360 just for Halo and gears it's not worth it. Forza 3 is coming out, but there are some good racing games for the pc. I think by next year we'll be hearing more about the next gen consoles. I'd just stick with the pc now. I haven't played my 360 in awhile.

Maybe they have it back in stock, but there was a thread here a few months ago where the op couldn't find it in stock anywhere. Notice that amazon itself doesn't sell it. It lists other vendors.

Maybe they have it back in stock, but there was a thread here a few months ago where the op couldn't find it in stock anywhere. Notice that amazon itself doesn't sell it. It lists other vendors.

So? They're still the ones fullfilling the order. I can have it by Monday! :D

What about the expansions for GTA4-- like gay tony or whatever and the lost and damned. Can I get those on PSN? Last time I checked you could only get those off XBOX live.

I was under the impression that jasper chipset (only in arcade last time I checked. Has it replaced falcon all across the board?) was reliable.

What about the expansions for GTA4-- like gay tony or whatever and the lost and damned. Can I get those on PSN? Last time I checked you could only get those off XBOX live.

I was under the impression that jasper chipset (only in arcade last time I checked. Has it replaced falcon all across the board?) was reliable.

The Xbox 360 failure rate has NOT changed... as in... not AT ALL.

All they really did with Jasper was combine the CPU/GPU on one die... which actually made things hotter. All they did with Falcon was add an extra heatsink (but no extra fan and no place for the heat to go) which spread the heat out more evenly but still kept it trapped inside the system.

I <3 my 360 Elite. Yeah it's true that the 360 has a lot of failure issues, but I believe they come with a 4 year warranty now for the RROD. If it fails with something else that is not covered that worst case I have to buy a new one and I'm out $300. Thats not a huge deal.

I <3 my 360 Elite. Yeah it's true that the 360 has a lot of failure issues, but I believe they come with a 4 year warranty now for the RROD. If it fails with something else that is not covered that worst case I have to buy a new one and I'm out $300. Thats not a huge deal.

You don't always get the RROD when the thing dies, that's the caveat all 3 of my dead ones never had the RROD. No RROD, no warranty.

I love my 360 before i bought one i went to my buddies so i could finally figure out what i wanted.

Hes got a wii (which i had before to much shovel ware :()
ps3 and xbox 360

ps3 was nice but i didnt even put the blu-ray part into consideration because i watch a movie once in a blue moon lol. even then i really could careless how good the quality is.

Game wise ps3 had a nice variety failure wise there not all that much better if u research the stats on that. What was it i read a 360 is 3 times more likely to fail but i forget what site told the actual stats and they actually have a decent amount of fail more then you hear about probably because its over shadowed by the 360.

anyway then i jumped on his 360 i loved it was like playing my pc game wise but with even more of a selection.

Just liked it much more was easier for me to trans to it then a ps3 maybe that sounds crazy but i played like 10 different games each on both systems over a weekend.

Anyway i'm not worried about my used 360 i got off craigslist failing either cause well theres tons of people on craigslist for 30 bucks they will fix just about any problem and do the work in front of you and test it so u can see it works.

anyway I just like 360 its like my pc gaming in console form.

End of this year i was thinking about picking up anotehr console. I might snag a ps3 lol but i think ill grab a 360 elite with the hdmi (mine didnt come with that) give this one to my son and i'll take the new elite for the new tv i'm gonna buy.

All they really did with Jasper was combine the CPU/GPU on one die... which actually made things hotter. All they did with Falcon was add an extra heatsink (but no extra fan and no place for the heat to go) which spread the heat out more evenly but still kept it trapped inside the system.

Jasper was not a combined CPU/GPU on one die, thats not coming till the Valhalla revision.

http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_Revisions#Jasper
Jasper was released in late 2008 and cropped up in Arcade machines at the end of November. It introduced the 65 nm GPU to reduce power usage and cost further. The new powersupply is rated for 150 Watt, down form 175 Watt on the Falcon. The Amperage on the 12V rail is down to 12.1A (12.1A x 12V = 145.2W).

The on-board flash has also increased to allow the new NXE (New Xbox Experience) dashboard update to reside internally, instead of requiring a memory unit or the hard drive.

IBM 65 nm CPU
ATI 65 nm GPU with 80 nm on-chip eDRAM

New southbridge chipset
150 Watt power supply, 12V rated for 12.1A, new connector
Larger 256 MB Hynix HY27UF082G2B on-board flash, up from 16 MB HY27US08281A flash, to accommodate the NXE update (only found on Arcade boards)

And for some Data on what Jasper has done to RROD
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/xbox-360-red-ring-of-death-abating/
That said, there has been significant improvement with Xbox 360 and the RROD problem. SquareTrade’s data shows that the introduction of the “Jasper” chipset in late 2008 "has likely solved" the RROD problem.

As an owner of both the ps3 and 360 I'd just like to chime in on this matter, in my opinion the 360 is a far greater gaming machine while the ps3 is a far greater media machine, allow me to elaborate:

360- First of all the library of games is still larger on the 360 due to it bieng out longer, and the ease of developing on the platform. While true that the ps3 is catching up and cross platform games come out on both consoles I prefer playing them on the 360, why you ask? well it's simple I just cannot stand the layout of the ps3 controller, I think it is horribly designed to fit in my hands, I much prefer the spaced out joysticks on the 360 (my thumbs always smash into each other especially when playing fps's on the dualshock 3) and the analog triggers on the 360 have alot more range of input for finer control of throttle and brake application on racing games.

I have to comment on the graphics, and while both consoles look great and each console has it's specific exclusive games that look better than certain games on the other console, when it comes to cross platform games I like the look of the 360 alot better, say what you will and feel free to disagree if you want to, but the texturing has always looked sharper and more detailed on the 360.

Lastly is online multiplayer and media center abilities, yes you have to pay for live, but it is definately worth it, online is almost seamless, matchmaking is fast and effective and you can jump in and play alot quicker than I've found with the ps3. As for the 360 as your media center, well let me say I think it's just garbage compared to the ps3, I have trouble syncing the 360 up to wmp11 and tversity media servers that have no issues on ps3, also playback of videos streamed to the console take longer to load and have buffering issues when streaming that are not present on the ps3.

PS3- While hardly a bad choice for gaming, it just feels to me like sony placed more emphasis on the ps3 as a media center than a game console, as stated above I don't like the controller layout and find it cumbersome to use, I find the ps3's need to install games to the harddrive a step backwards as there is nothing worse to me than having to sit through a 10-15 minute install when all you want to do is pop that new game in and start playing. Also the way the psn handles game patches is very poor, for some reason game updates take forever to download (for the record downloading demo's and videos off psn takes no time at all). for graphics comparisons see my take on the matter above in the 360 section, although I must admit that exclusive first party games sure look amazing, GT5P, Killzone 2, MGS4, Ratchet and Clank all look absolutely stunning and I will admit put alot of 360 titles to shame graphically. Online multiplayer seems rather clumsy on the ps3, and I find that it takes forever for matchmaking, and having to sync all the players up before a match takes longer than on the 360, all in all I think the online component simply just isn't as polished and the old addage of "you get what you pay for" comes into play here.

Now the real meat and potatoes of what I see the ps3 as.. a media player, it's true, blu ray is amazing, and the ps3 does a fantastic job with them, still regarded as one of the best blu ray players out there, it loads them faster than almost all other players out today and has all the features you'd expect a player to have, not to mention it bieng future proof through the constant firmware upgrades that are provided. Streaming video/music/photos from your pc is almost effortless and I believe it does a much better job than the 360, videos stream instantly and have no buffering issues, photo albums are sorted and displayed much more efficently, and sound quality wether it's games, blu ray, mp3's sound much more full and have better impact than on the 360.

Whew well if you've stuck through all of that congradulations! lol but there is one last thing, reliability. Yes we all know the 360 has a major design flaw that has not been properly fixed, I myself am on my 3rd 360, however my latest one (halo 3 special edition console) has lasted over a year and god willing will last another. While failure rates are lower than they were before they are still present but I really wouldn't let that factor into your purchase equasion as the ps3 is not without it's problems as well, do some digging and you'll come up with numerous cases of the ylod, blu ray diodes crapping out causing games/movies to not function anymore and the real kicker is that the ps3 warranty is only 1 year and after that you will have to pay usd $150 for sony to repair your console while microsoft gives you 3 years free on the most common RROD failure.

Both consoles are going to be around another 3-5 years so you can't really go wrong with either of them. The simplest answer to all this debating about wich is better is to just buy both!, I mean really with both consoles costing around $299 now it's not really that hard to save up and have the best of both worlds, the 360 for gaming and the ps3 for bluray/media and it's exclusive games. If you had to choose one, I'd still say go for the 360 first and buy a ps3 later on down the road when you can afford it.

that wiki article is way off on alot of things.
all of the new boards should come with 256 megs of onboard, that would just make sence, its going to cost them more to produce 2 boards where the only thing different is the size of the onboard. i'll check it when i get mine back and if its not the same.

so ok mines a falcon and it RROD because i DIDNT play it (go fig) it was fine playing it every day for a few weeks and then i went a week with out playing it, came back and it went to ****.

i bought a 360 because at the time it was cheaper and there were games for it more easily available for it than the PS3. right now its on a UPS truck to texas to either get repaired or replaced.

i put markings on the case in areas (metal parts) so i can ID it when it comes back, if the marks are there, its my old unit, if they arent, then its a new unit.

i am tempted to get a PS3 because sony acually did something right when they shrank the system.

usually when sony goes mini its a disaster and i could see it being a huge disaster with the PS3 because it gets stupid hot and uses alot of power but since they reduced the power consumption by about half there seems to be no problem with this mini version.

Back