• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

networking problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtkxhom3r

i have a stupid problem... i dont know why i cant access files between 2 computers...

i have 3 pc's all running windows 7... their all connected to a wrt400n router

the main one (rig in sig) is hard wired to the router and the other 2 are laptops connected by wireless

i right clicked on the drives i want to share and clicked share...

but i cant see them on my other pc's...**** i cant even see the pc its self

i tried the whole homegroup thing but it only lets me create a homegroup it doesnt let me join one for some reason..

i think these computers cant see each other for some reason... maybe its something with the router i dont know..

so what do you guys think?

Right-click Computer "My Computer" and go to Properties.

Towards the middle of the properties screen on the right, click "Change Settings."

In the "Computer Name" tab, click "Change..."

It will then have a space to type in the name of your workgroup. Do this for all of your computers and restart them.

*NOTE*
You may also want to turn OFF "Password Protected Sharing" in the advanced sharing options of your network. You can read the description and see why it would be a problem. If the other computers don't have a username and password that is on the computer that the shared files are located on, the files will not be shared. If you want to keep this setting, you can create a new account on the computer with shared files and then use that username and password to connect to the shared files from your other computers. I would only worry about this AFTER you can actually see your other workgroup computers.

Last edited:
wow man thanks!! it wasnt the workgroup thing it was that both computers were named the same thing i named one of the laptops something different and it worked perfectly

hah on a side note im actually surprised i can stream high def movies with out a problem over wireless g

one of my laptops is running at almost 100% though lol

edit* i take that back some movies work great and others lag at times.... not to sure if its because my laptop cant play them or because of bandwidth limitations...

Last edited:
Back