• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I play this frickin' flac?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I have over 100GBs of media and the one thing I want in the whole world is to play a handful of my new audio files (flac).

I have K-Lite mega Pac, VLC, MPC, MP11, Vista HP32, divX, DAEMON tools lite, an X-Fi SB soundcard, and probably a bit more of note icratm. I've even reinstalled new versions of most of it.

A single song is nearly 50MB.

I don't have any other flac to compare to it.

What do I do?

Seriously, if neither KLite codec pack or VLC won't let you play it, I'd suspect the file is dodgy mate.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

???

added: flac normally "just works" in currently updated players. So like mjw21a said, the file is probably broken. But what i really want to stress, is flac really is a pretty awesome format, so don't let this first experience turn you off to it!

one of the best things about lossless music compression, is if you want to change to a different format later, you don't lose anything =)

Last edited:
Foobar200 should be able to play all flac files by default.

Check you have flac installed and follow the installation guides from the above web address.

If you still cannot play it, like others have said, it is most likely broken.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

???

added: flac normally "just works" in currently updated players. So like mjw21a said, the file is probably broken. But what i really want to stress, is flac really is a pretty awesome format, so don't let this first experience turn you off to it!

one of the best things about lossless music compression, is if you want to change to a different format later, you don't lose anything =)

lossless ftw. And I know foobar plays it out of the box as others have said.

Yes, I am asking for recomendations as to what programs will play flac files.

&/or alternatively try to diagnose the problem(s) if possible:

The klm program folder already has an app called "Media Info", but I currently don't even have a clue what it does. I am also looking for recomendations for any apps which could help me determine what state these flac files are in.

Ok I'll just now go check up on any links from above. Thx

Psh if VLC can't play it probably broken file... what do they say when you try to play the files in question?

The klm group also has something called "madFLAC", and the other 2 dozen things.

OK, prog by prog, whats happens is....: But not a single squeek of sound ever.

Creative MediaSource 5.10.57
unable to recognise the format of this file
-the songs name shows up correctly

Media Player Classic Homecinema 1.2.1008.0
Opening...., Cannot render the file

WMP 11.0.6002.18065
....cannot play....not support filetype or not support the codec used to compress the file
-again, the songs name shows up correctly

CyberLink PowerDVD v7.0
Nothing visible at all happens, no name, no nothing after player opens

VLC 1.0.1
Gets the name and number of track as the others players do, but no track time of song (neither do others), seems to play for a split second, then stops. I can repress the play button a few times for every second, and the info on screen dissappears each time. When I press play (or it opens originally) it gives the song data only for the length of time that it holds the play function, a split second.

Windows Media Center
file is mssing, corrupt, or unavailable

Last edited:
A few days ago I did a quick google about converting form flac to another format (eg mp3) which is something I should do too anyway, but all I found was a long mult-step process. Is there a quick way to do this: i.e a flac ---> mp3 (eg.) conversion?

K-Lite mega Pac, VLC, MPC, MP11,

You dont need all of these programs for playing things

media player classic + ffdshow and your done more or less, except for the odd file, like flac.

xrror (or anyone),

from http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html (the only link I can seee anywhere)

Under the first section from the top ("download") under the third heading "windows" (after Linux and Mac OS X) I saved the "FLAC for Windows with installer" file.

But I get an "NSIS Error....corrupted....incomplete....damaged....failed....virus....poss. to skip check with /NCRC command line switch (not recomended)"

So I guess I need to TRY THE WORKAROUND under the heading....oh, ok, is this ok? Iow I am a Vista user and the install hangs, so get this "workaround".

Believe it or not after being asked by tweakboy so what was the outcome I could only assume that it was intended I do something from that link (we also already knew what we knew). So I downloaded and saved the aforementioned (and am currently trying to run it). But why? Me so slooow. don't understand. Is this a link to the seed from which flac grew, and I just am trying to get some understanding into my Vista HP32 for whatever player I end up using (or is it specific to a given player, or is it a player itself)? Is this whats called installing a codec. BTW with one tool I have (under klm prog folder)I have learned I have somethng like 196 codecs already installed. I have only been following step by step a few recomended procedures after ggogling " xyz codec mssing" or recomendations made to me so far.

Last edited:
ok, got 1.2.1b.exe installed. may need to wait til tom to know. I'm doing several things and sleeping (right)

Back