• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you play yours? Blurays...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What is a non BR compliant monitor? You talking resolution? Mine just down converts it I guess. I play BRs all the time on a 720p monitor (stand alone player mind you). I'm not sure what you are asking really.

They mean HDCP or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. Basically if all parts of your system don't meet this standard then playing a bluray with purchased software will not work since it doesn't meet requirements for the DRM

They mean HDCP or High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. Basically if all parts of your system don't meet this standard then playing a bluray with purchased software will not work since it doesn't meet requirements for the DRM

Never really got the point of that. Is it so you can't bypass the DRM by hooking the output of your vid card directly to some sort of DVR or something?

If I would have known this before I built my HTPC, I would have never done it. What a monumental pain in the ***.

I wouldn't bother buying BR playback software. Just rip them to your HDD and play them with mediabrowser or XBMC. Use a good meta scraper and you're all set. Looks great too.

Thanks T, but XBMC wont play any of my BR's...and while I (now) understand how to make it happen, we use Netflix (physical BRs) and my wife and kids want to drop the movie in the slot and play it, like a normal BR player, and not wait hours to rip it to the HDD.

I have a monitor that is non BR compliant how can I play BR on my PC with that monitor?
Can you use dvi to component on the monitor? HDCP only comes into play with HDMI. I think i even used dvi to Hdmi.(It still carried the sound)

Thanks T, but XBMC wont play any of my BR's...and while I (now) understand how to make it happen, we use Netflix (physical BRs) and my wife and kids want to drop the movie in the slot and play it, like a normal BR player, and not wait hours to rip it to the HDD.
Spring for a PS3 and problem solved, plays everything....:chair:

Heh, I would, but last year, out of nowhere, the wife bought an Xbox... (I wanted PS3 partially for this reason). Cant win em all. :)

With some more research, additionally on Windows you have a few more options besides using MakeMKV:

1. Assuming you are on Frodo, you should be able to navigate from videos (the file structure) to the disc and play the index file.
2. Add a shortcut from play disc to open it up in an external player (like SMplayer, VLC, etc)

@EarthDog
I gave you a solution in post #11. Passkey lite is an on the fly decrypter(free from dvdfab) which will allow you to play the BR with many different media players. I suggested VLC. I provided a link in that post. I'm certain that you could make it seamless for the kids.

Back