• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutdowns when gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes I did a fresh win install on my second drive (that just has games on it), installed the driver, steam, and one game and it crashed almost instantly.

So I'm down to either a system problem (CPU, board, memory - how long should AIDA64 run to rule that out), a PSU problem with some weird failure mode, or just cruddy drivers in which case why is it that it seems to A) go away for a while, then come back and get worse with less play time between failures, B) happen in multiple games. I could see it being a problem just with the Mass Effect Eternal game, but it also crashed in DOOM, which I have tens of hours of playtime in over the years.

Oops.. OK.

Yeah.. crap. Start throwing parts at it. I'll send you (presumably) known good PSU and, I think I have a spare x470 board lying around. PM me if you are interested.

EDIT: I don't have a spare X470 board, but can send a PSU to test with.....

As far as AIDA is concerned, at least a few hours in your case.

Last edited:
Just passed 12 hours of AIDA no problem (CPU, FPU, cache, system memory). I expected something to error at some point. This is with the 1070Ti in. My last night with that system.

stabilitytest.png

Today I beat the crap out of the 6800xt and no crashes. 30 minutes of gaming, then 8 hours of heaven, followed by an hour of ME:Eternal, and finally Timespy and Firestrike extreme benchmarks. Port Royal is downloading. No idea what to think except I installed the driver only this time. Also have the side panel off, but it wasn't overheating before, the hotspot was in the low 90s with the panel on and high 80s with it off.

Time will tell but I'm more optimistic now.

Today I beat the crap out of the 6800xt and no crashes. 30 minutes of gaming, then 8 hours of heaven, followed by an hour of ME:Eternal, and finally Timespy and Firestrike extreme benchmarks. Port Royal is downloading. No idea what to think except I installed the driver only this time. Also have the side panel off, but it wasn't overheating before, the hotspot was in the low 90s with the panel on and high 80s with it off.

Time will tell but I'm more optimistic now.

Realize this thread is old now... but it's worth noting that I've NEVER had my system crash while gaming in my entire life... and I used to own a Cyrix 686 that almost burned my house down.

So whatever you were experiencing must be SERIOUS.

Frankly I'd toss the whole kitten kaboodle. PSU in the trash... motherboard... trash. And maybe a brand new case.

Even now. Even if you think everything is working fine now.

Of course... if you really meant that the system was rebooting all the time (and not "shutting down") then the problem is almost always the RAM.

But used 3700x motherboards are pretty easy to come by... and cheap.

And PSUs are pretty cheap these days, too. So I'd, at minimum, swap those out (even if you had to just do it over time) just to be on the safe side.

Actually you might have already done all this (I didn't read the whole thread). So don't mind me... It's early morning here! :D :beer:

Do you have a picture of your setup? It could be something simple like the MB’s VRM section is too hot. I’ve got TWO ~ BAD PSU’s now because of dumba$$ mistakes.
-The first was a Corsair AX-1200 (purchased from witchdoctor) that was using testing some GPUs about 2 yrs ago. I left a hd-6950 connected with the power connections and then touched the back with a metal something :-( I fired the card (pooph) BUT the psu seemed ok. Several days later when i decided to play a game, the system would just restart. The CPU/GPU had no problems running benching programs separately, it was only when BOTH were stressed that the system would restart.
-The second was last month with a EVGA Supernova 1300g2. I had an external multi fan connector (4 pin molex) that i allowed to touch the vga mounting bracket. It killed the fan connector BUT the card survived. I had the PSU setup for multi card sli/cf and had no problems running single gpu benches. It was extremely hard to pin point the problem because I also had an EVGA 1600g2 connected (addition power IE: for i9-7980xe + 4x gtx-480/580/680) until i connected my gtx-590. I would be benching 3d mark 01, 03, ect, ect BUT get to Heaven and I would get a BLUE screen shortly after starting. I would have to restart to fix the problem. I thought it was the GPU’s problem because i had replaced the memory pads with generic ones. I finally swapped my extra evga 1300g2 (purchased as a replacement for the corsair) that the problem was fixed.
A psu problem can masked itself and usually can only be pinpointed when another psu is used.

Hi I posted some pics here https://www.overclockers.com/forums...your-leet-system.592619/page-176#post-8198759. Not sure if that's what you're after. I did remove the chopsticks and cable extensions.

For the last month I haven't had any problems gaming after the last time removing and re-installing drivers. The shadow health website does cause havoc any time you change windows, but that is a pretty common issue / known issue with it. I'm not sure why it didn't happen with the Vega, and I'm not confident that I was appropriately reproducing the symptoms with the 1070Ti I was borrowing.

The shadow health website does cause havoc any time you change windows, but that is a pretty common issue / known issue with it.
I'll bite... what's the Shadow Health website? And why would a website flip with a change in Windows? Sounds like a terrible website (and even worse barometer) if that's the case(?).

It's a virtual simulation for nursing training. My unhinged opinion is that it's absolute garbage in every way possible, but there aren't to many alternatives for virtual / remote learning so schools just go with it. It is an interactive animation which you can ask questions via typing or speech recognition (actually the speech recognition is decent, but the part that actually processes the question and responds is junk). There's also an animation that talks to you when questions are answered and interacts with different examination points. It all runs in a browser and it has to use chrome (which I rarely use for anything else).

I have actually taken to running it on my laptop, documenting in a word document on the PC, and having my ebook text open on the PC and it works quite well.

Back