• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sad Corsair AX 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spiritedandy

Premium Member
Sad day old faithful is no more with a funny smell coming from her rear never good 😕

It was over kill when I bought her way back when but power consumption has caught up and is now needed .
This pic in all her splendor
Now it's coffee biscuits and read up on the latest and greatest psus I do like BeQuiet

Attachments

• 20240310_054701.jpg
    20240310_054701.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 2
If you were using it without problems for 13 years, then I guess it wasn't a bad PSU ;)
I had problems with only one Corsair, but I'm not using cheaper series (everything I bought in the last ~15 years was at least 80+ Gold).
Right now, I'm almost only using FSP and DeepCool from the ATX series, but because I get review samples from time to time. I buy almost only the Corsair SF series because there are no better SFX PSUs on the market. The last two are DeepCool 1300W 80+ Plat. and FSP 1350 80+ Plat. Both are silent on my test rigs and keep voltages just as expected, up to ~900W. Without a second GPU, it's not even possible to pass that.
Pretty much everything 80+ Gold, even from cheaper brands, uses Japanese caps and should work without problems with spikes 50% higher than the rated max wattage. Everything from even less popular brands has the OCP/OVP and all other protections. Something like AX1600i is already a good investment for at least 10 years.

Thanx I was worried reading that then I get to the end and you're like what have you bought that for lol 😆
I'm sure I had a psu that you overclocked pot on it PC power and cooling possibly
Oh 1600w is more future proofing I want to buy 1 and it lasts like my 1200w one

I didn't mod PSUs, sorry!

Im assuming it's for 3 high-end gpus folding or something, lol. I run a 13900k and a 4090, easily, with a 850W PSU. I've never seen it pull over 600W and mostly runs games around 500W or less (system power at the wall, so likely around 450W actual). Over buying (you never listed what its powering so no idea) like this hurts your wallet more than it future proofs anything.

Wow 11 years is a great life for a PSU. Gotta be proud of that. I have a dislike for any Corsair products after I got shafted by them twice. Back in the day we used to mod PSU's rails by adding a VR to each line and using a DMM to fine tune the rails. Let me see if I can find a pic of one of mine.

*Edit*

Here ya goes. this was back in 2004 during the P4 days. You can see one of the VR pots (Blue square thingy) on an Antec True Power 550w, but there was 3 pots. This is the best pic I could find that shows one of the VR pots.

Picture 002(04-07-04).jpg

Last edited:
Wow 11 years is a great life for a PSU. Gotta be proud of that. I have a dislike for any Corsair products after I got shafted by them twice. Back in the day we used to mod PSU's rails by adding a VR to each line and using a DMM to fine tune the rails. Let me see if I can find a pic of one of mine.

*Edit*

Here ya goes. this was back in 2004 during the P4 days. You can see one of the VR pots (Blue square thingy) on an Antec True Power 550w, but there was 3 pots. This is the best pic I could find that shows one of the VR pots.

View attachment 365367

Wow! I've never seen this mod before. I've modded a motherboard much like that but never a PSU. Outstanding Nebs.

I vaguely recall a PSU that had voltage adjustments out of the box...but for the life of me, can't remember the brand/model or anything. Like a PCPnC brand or something...?

Funnily enough, mine will be 11 in May. Knock on wood, still going strong. But it also doesn’t see anything near full load, nor has it. I aim for maybe 50% load at moderate peaks for peak efficiency.

If you’re shopping for a new one, I’d aim for an ATX 3 version for future compatibility.

Last edited:
Back