• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sad Corsair AX 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im like corsair i got fan does not come on trying to get it to spin now the 14900k might help toasty
...1.6kw with single gpu, what do you expect? That psu doesn't even know its alive. :p

I'd look into a keyboard though, seems your period button doesn't work consistently in your posts. :rofl:

EDIT: A quick look at your manual....... the fan doesn't kick on until 640W... so................good luck with that! Not sure I hit that much with a 4090 and 13900K, lol.

Last edited:
Sad day old faithful is no more with a funny smell coming from her rear never good 😕

It was over kill when I bought her way back when but power consumption has caught up and is now needed .
This pic in all her splendor
Now it's coffee biscuits and read up on the latest and greatest psus I do like BeQuiet
I've had to retire both of my samples. One with too low +5V and the other just recently for too low and out of spec +12V. Both long out of warranty. Just replaced one with the Corsair AX-1500i which is doing well in the host. Pleasantly surprised to see it supported by a Linux driver so I now can inspect voltages, powers and currents.

Sad day old faithful is no more with a funny smell coming from her rear never good 😕

It was over kill when I bought her way back when but power consumption has caught up and is now needed .
This pic in all her splendor
Now it's coffee biscuits and read up on the latest and greatest psus I do like BeQuiet
That sucks!!!:(
Post magically merged:

Thanx I was worried reading that then I get to the end and you're like what have you bought that for lol 😆
I'm sure I had a psu that you overclocked pot on it PC power and cooling possibly
Oh 1600w is more future proofing I want to buy 1 and it lasts like my 1200w one
I would get a EVGA PS but that's just me.;)

I didn't mod PSUs, sorry!

Im assuming it's for 3 high-end gpus folding or something, lol. I run a 13900k and a 4090, easily, with a 850W PSU. I've never seen it pull over 600W and mostly runs games around 500W or less (system power at the wall, so likely around 450W actual). Over buying (you never listed what its powering so no idea) like this hurts your wallet more than it future proofs anything.
I'm going to upgrade my 13600k to 14900k on Satuday and I'm constantly thinking "Will my 2 years old Corsair RM850x handle it". Good to know you manage to run 4090 + 13900k on 850W psu! Makes me relax a little

I know it's safe, but he is worried about the PS he has, and a 1000 watt keeps him ready for the future. :thup:
The OP already bought a (1.6KW), PSU. You're a day late and a dollar short. :soda:

EDIT: Oh, you're replying to Yoad..... yeah... I'd still go 850W... there's headroom in it for the future already. I mean, I'm already on a 450W card and a flagship PSU and my 850W doesn't flinch. It's measured constantly. :)

Now, if you're folding or something, i'd considering something a bit more, but otherwise, for a gaming machine, a high quality 850W unit bought today will last you 10 years (they are warranted for 10 years).

We all have different ideas as far as PC parts go.:blah:
Of course. That doesn't mean some arent bad or good or better or worse for the job at hand. (y)

My money is on a higher quality, lower wattage unit (850W Platinum Seasonic for the same price) instead of spending just to see bigger numbers on a lower quality unit.

EDIT: My money goes to this bad boy for $135. :)

...... but that EVGA isn't a potato either. :)

Last edited:
Of course. That doesn't mean some arent bad or good or better or worse for the job at hand. (y)

My money is on a higher quality, lower wattage unit (850W Platinum Seasonic for the same price) instead of spending just to see bigger numbers on a lower quality unit.

Mmmm, Platinum with 10 years. That's some goodness for the price!

The worst part about that buy, is going to be using an adapter the new mobos, lol.

But yeah, that EVGA is solid for the price too. But I have better feels over an apporpiately sized 10 year SSonic Plat than an 3 year EVGA Gold..

The OP already bought a (1.6KW), PSU. You're a day late and a dollar short. :soda:

EDIT: Oh, you're replying to Yoad..... yeah... I'd still go 850W... there's headroom in it for the future already. I mean, I'm already on a 450W card and a flagship PSU and my 850W doesn't flinch. It's measured constantly. :)

Now, if you're folding or something, i'd considering something a bit more, but otherwise, for a gaming machine, a high quality 850W unit bought today will last you 10 years (they are warranted for 10 years).
Well, if I were to buy a brand new PSU for 14900k+4090 and I'd plan to overclock and benchmark a lot, it would not be a 850W, rather some unit in the range of 1000W-1200W. When I play Cyberpunk and check HWMonitor, I can see maximum of 440W on GPU (not including spikes) and 240W on CPU. Add another 100W or so for RAM, NVMEs, 5 fans, AIO, High-speed USB devices... That's ~750W at STOCK power limits. An overclock will realistically add about ~50W more on the GPU and CPU so that's kinda cutting it close. That said, the probability of the CPU and GPU being fully stressed simultaneously by a daily application is slim to none, and even then, a high quality unit can handle it (Those 850W Seasonic/Corsair units only shut down ~1050W).

I guess the PSU craze started with the melting connectors of the 4090, but that had nothing to do with PSUs. It had to do with an overly bulky and stiff cable that would not click into place and be further dislocated when people closed their side panels. So now people are like "I need my PSU to handle FurMark and P95 at the same time, or my system will blow up".

Well, if I were to buy a brand new PSU for 14900k+4090 and I'd plan to overclock and benchmark a lot, it would not be a 850W, rather some unit in the range of 1000W-1200W.
I've never seen my system peak at my than 600W except for stress testing where it peaked at 770W(at the wall so around 700W actual). That's with a high end motherboard, 3 m.2, 1 hdd, six fans, loads of USB, and watercooled (aio) cpu and gpu.

Too many people overestimate use and headroom as well as make too much about being in the sweetspot. After running this config for a year now, even overclocked, I still wouldn't buy mkre than 850W. ;)

People who still run furmark should be taken behind the shed, lol.

...... but that EVGA isn't a potato either. :)
But they do have very high-end PS by Seasonic in the 1000-Watt range.

Back