• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutdowns when gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Specs in sig. So I recently picked up Mass Effect legendary edition and a problem has returned. For about a year I've experienced shutdowns when gaming (very stable otherwise). I initially switched to a lower power BIOS, removed 8 pin extension cables, and reinstalled drivers. Those stpeps made it good enough to play DOOM and CS:GO at the time.

There is no stuttering, artifact, or audio glitch when this happens, it goes from running fine to "cold and dark" in an instant. No RGB, no status lights. In order to restart the PC, the PSU power switch needs to be turned off and left for more than a few seconds (I haven't figured out the exact amount of time). I usually power off, walk away for a bit, and then switch it back on and it boots up fine.

It seems like OCP or something is tripping. Should I try other troubleshooting steps? Is it reasonable to pursue an RMA on the PSU without further investigation, or is it possible something is going wrong in the card. This seems to be getting worse, but it does seem to happen pretty early in the gaming session.

Well if you RMA the psu, will you be without a rig, or do you have a back-up? Are you running oc'ed? Could very well be the psu.

The colors you picked for 1/2 your sig, it's hard to read, but it looks like a 750w?

Yeah Seasonic Prime Ultra 750w Gold

I know I don't have a backup anything. I do have a laptop for school so I won't be completely without. But I would rather not go down if I should take other steps first.

The CPU I don't think is OCd at all except XMP right now. Maybe PBO is on. Either way I don't think it matters. The GPU is on the low power quiet BIOS and also on the Power Saver preset (Sapphire Vega 64, water cooled). I got a bit of Doom in after posting and it seems to be working fine. So I'm not sure that it's getting worse.

I have a Prime GX-750.. and it has a real hard time driving my 3070 Ti and 5900X.

It kinda turned me off of Seasonic. It is driving a 5600X and 3070 Ti right now.

only time my pc shuts off is playing "the forest" on my 3070, not overclocked in any way, not even the cpu. that psu fan hits max speed fast, but it is also a 620watt SS unit. i have a 850 SS unit waiting for me to finally put together that 11gen build, parts still sitting on the shelf. LOL lazy power at its best right here

How fast are your fans running? My Diablo 4 started crashing at random times, sometimes bringing the computer down completely. Prior to this I had no problems and it wasn't when a new patch came in or anything like that. I turned my fan curve up and all has been well for weeks now.

I don't think you should rma the PSU yet. You aren't not sure of that's what it is. It could be something else and you could get a different PSU back that had been run hard.

If you don't have someone local that you could borrow a PSU from you should head over to your local PC recycler. They may have a low quality brand PSU that you can use to test. Might cost you $10-20.

(Heck, you may be able to take your PSU to them and have them test it.)

Swap them out and see what happens.

Best Buy used to have decent sales on EVGA low end 650/750w PSUs. Maybe keep an eye out.

If you were close to me I'd let you borrow one.

Set a low power limit through Afterburner and see if it still happens...
I've been using "power saver" which should keep it under 200w. In the past I've fed this card over 300w without issues. However I mined for about a year and afterwards trying to go back to gaming is when I started having problems. I was trying to find my kill-a-watt but haven't been successful. I suppose afterburner OSD would give some valuable information.

How fast are your fans running? My Diablo 4 started crashing at random times, sometimes bringing the computer down completely. Prior to this I had no problems and it wasn't when a new patch came in or anything like that. I turned my fan curve up and all has been well for weeks now.
Fans are pretty slow but I've never had issues with temps under much higher power draw on a custom loop.

Could also be bad system settings in bios :D

Mainly memory.. or curve..
Interesting idea. My assumption based on how it crashed was that the PSU was shutting it all off. (everything off and dark at once, as if the PSU switch were turned, and only coming back after the PSU switch being cycled off for a few minutes).

Whether that is a feature of the PSU reacting to a GPU problem or a fault of the PSU were what I was trying to figure out. Could it be a problem with the BIOS? I could reset or even flash the BIOS easily enough.

I have a Prime GX-750.. and it has a real hard time driving my 3070 Ti and 5900X.

It kinda turned me off of Seasonic. It is driving a 5600X and 3070 Ti right now.
Why would a 750w PSU have a hard time running 400w-500w? I have about the same and my seasonic 650w never had any issues with it, most of the time it doesn't even turn the fan on 🤷🏻‍♂️

EDIT: Also played ME:LE several times and never crashed (the original had issues on occasion because I used to run 4k texture mods)

Fans are pretty slow but I've never had issues with temps under much higher power draw on a custom loop.
Same here with my loop but after over a year of running fine I started crashing when gaming. After my fan curve was adjusted to kick in a little earlier at 57 degrees or so everything smoothed out. My fluid looks clear and I see no buildup in any blocks so it must be due to something else but either way it worked.

With F@H it is more like 650w.
What, how? CPU 150w-200w + GPU 250w-300w on full load (they shouldn't be able to pull more) + maybe ~50w for the rest... or am I misreading what you have on your sig, what makes up the extra 150w-200w?

What, how? CPU 150w-200w + GPU 250w-300w on full load (they shouldn't be able to pull more) + maybe ~50w for the rest... or am I misreading what you have on your sig, what makes up the extra 150w-200w?
240/160/190 on the cpu for a steady 200w at 4550-4600MHz, and 2100 core +1000 mems for 400-450w on the GPU, and then the board and other stuff.

This is on a 5900X and 3070 Ti on a Asus Strix XE and 4x8 at 3800C15 1.525v because of 255 Trfc.

240/160/190 on the cpu for a steady 200w at 4550-4600MHz, and 2100 core +1000 mems for 400-450w on the GPU, and then the board and other stuff.

This is on a 5900X and 3070 Ti on a Asus Strix XE and 4x8 at 3800C15 1.525v because of 255 Trfc.
Right, completely different from your Sig, gotcha. Surprised there's a need for such high wattage for the 3070ti, the regular 3070 hits the same speed/workload (comparatively) at 200w-275w, and there's only what, a 5%-10% difference in performance between them?

@Zerileous, did the issue happen with any other game/program before you started troubleshooting? Might be just your regular game bug, remember ME:LE having issues with certain hardware configurations and HDR/HDR10 monitors specifically

Right, completely different from your Sig, gotcha. Surprised there's a need for such high wattage for the 3070ti, the regular 3070 hits the same speed/workload (comparatively) at 200w-275w, and there's only what, a 5%-10% difference in performance between them?

@Zerileous, did the issue happen with any other game/program before you started troubleshooting? Might be just your regular game bug, remember ME:LE having issues with certain hardware configurations and HDR/HDR10 monitors specifically
Oh yeah this X3D just sips power lol :)

Not to sure about the GPU, hwifnfo said 340w peak, but my thingy that plugs into the wall was saying 648-660..

Back