• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help converting mkv to mp4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

Id like to convert an mkv file to mp4. also how long would the program you recommend take to convert it?

All this talk about conversions, and nothing has yet been mentioned about source and destination formats. What're we talking here, h264, Xvid? MKV and MP4 are not video formats, they're just container files, which can contain all sorts of different types of video and audio formats.

As for directly switching from an MKV to an MP4, it's a pretty simple matter of taking the video and audio streams out of the MKV file and sticking them into an MP4, no encoding necessary. Whether that would suffice in this case, I dunno.

All this talk about conversions, and nothing has yet been mentioned about source and destination formats. What're we talking here, h264, Xvid? MKV and MP4 are not video formats, they're just container files, which can contain all sorts of different types of video and audio formats.

As for directly switching from an MKV to an MP4, it's a pretty simple matter of taking the video and audio streams out of the MKV file and sticking them into an MP4, no encoding necessary. Whether that would suffice in this case, I dunno.

your right... come to think of it you might be able to just rename the file extension... from .mkv to .mp4 and play it without problems.

HAHA yup just did that on a 1080p mkv i have haha.

Well, a simple rename will work if you're playing it on a computer, because the same splitter programs that open MP4s also open MKVs, but it won't be an actual MP4 file, so it usually won't work if you're trying to take a file to a standalone box, like an Xbox 360 or something. In that case you'd actually have to change to a proper MP4 container at the very least, and maybe also convert the video and audio depending on what format they're in.

Back