• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its all broke now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

Well my fancy PC`s having major memory management death :bang head

In the process of forcing it to play nice at silly speeds between the CPU and Ram that dont like each other one bit! :cry:
its having a hardware death (possibly board and/or ram) having handed over a boat load of spend not so long back on the Q9650 (thats a duff clocker thus far) Im pondering my next move and throwing it up for debate here like a clay pigeon mayhap :shrug:

should I just try another modest 4gig of DDR2 thats actually approved by gigabyte or go buy A suitable ASUS board and hope for less nightmares?

The gigabyte boards full of impressive features with duff implementation I feel.
battery under the heat pipes, flakey random bios deaths, connector placed convieniently under the GPU cards... well its made me hate it a fair bit :-/

so what would your move be?... (stuff it wheres the I7`s at perhaps #Laughs#)

the PC does everything use wise... music, Films, Games, paint packages and lots of web action.

Id check your ram first.. You can run Memtest, or pull out 3 sticks and test each stick individually. If nothing changes, its more than likely the board causing issues.

A bad overclocker? 4ghz w/ a Yorkfield is bad? Since when??!!??

Might be taking 1.4v to get 4ghz, that's pretty lousy for a q9650.

I agree, test the ram with memtest before you go buying new things.
Gigabyte makes very good boards, but that doesn't mean that your specific iteration isn't partly dead.
I really like my asus board, but it's reputed to not be as good at quads, for whatever that is worth.

I would suspect memory before i suspected the mobo, but that is just because i've had far more memory failures (some catastrophic, some only partial and annoying) then motherboard failures.

yep a notch off 1.4 to really do that frequency (which it seldom did for obvious breaky breaky technology reasons)

the board was being hard driven to clock a Q66 to 3.8 before but most the memory issues occured with the ram and Q9650 combo.

I susspect the boards had enough hard thrash already and as the ram started to act up I comopensated with more (have it!) voltage to the ram banks... I thunk I killed em both Gud at that :D

the cpu`s got more torture left in it yet though but even at 3GHz its that tad more snappy than the Q66

best get hold of another machine and test the ram... not much point in a board thats this broke.

even had a corrupt thread earlyer (new one for me)

im just using 4gig checked out and placed in order of serial number but its still screwed.

Ever consider that the cpu ain't up to the challenge? I mean it's rare, but once in a while Intel puts out a dud clocker. I remember me and a buddy bought the same s-spec batch etc, and he was able to get his PIII450 to 600mhz, and I never got mine much more than 512mhz...both had the same parts, board: ram: gpu etc.

I say +1 for memtest..and when you run it, turn on all the extra calculations...you will know within ten minutes if your ram is hosed.

BTW, do you have all the settings (ram, nb,volts etc) the same as with the Q6600?
Try backing off the timings a little until the thermal paste cures, and see if you can get it back to your liking...how hot are the cores?

thanks for the response docclock... even at the lowest ram times 200Mhz less frequency and the memory management fails.

the voltage isnt as thrashed all round as the Q66 was but ive spent a couple or three months messing with the vairables and nothing happy.

temps are fine with two triple rads and UK weather... much less heat than the Q66 anyway.

switched form vista 64 to win7 64 but still the same mem trouble and I stuck on a custom bios the other day still the F8 versionebut slightly modified :rolleyes: so its not a flakey bios write.

suppose the Q9650 makes a fine office machine for a good few years... do I feel lucky to not land a duff clocking I7 though?

odds are good for not lamding another naff clocker but then theres the flutter buy effect <-- (just made up :D) which states forces beyond our understanding could double whammey me with another duff just to whitness the disbelief and gutted expression on my face :shrug:

clocking deities have shunned me this round... Q9650 dissapoints after a superbly thrashable Q66

maybe ill move it all along an upgrade for my fleet of PC`s liberally scatted all over the world.

suppose Q96 duff clocker isnt a great selling point :(

as it happens i`ve just murderd a stick of ram (another spare for my odd widowed collection :D )

back at a stable 3600 with 4Gig of working 1066 ram... what more could I want :clap:

just hope sticks 3 & 4 live for a while :shrug:

memory management bsod sucks man, my new ocz ram was causing me so many blue screens but after a while i was getting the memory management one while watching a video on youtube... (i replaced a vid card thru newegg rma and everything else before that).

After the memory blue screens i ran memtest.exe; it crashed with blue screens, but when it didn't I got 8 errors on one stick of ram, and over 750+ on another. Then I tryed running the bootable memtests, none worked... (figured out i have to use memtest86+ v2.11 after RMAing the ram). So I did the windows memory diagnosis tests and found the same 8 errors on 1 stick and 890-900 on another (the one that has 750+ on memtest.exe). Well I got an RMA in on the 30th day of the return policy.

Now I will always test my ram FIRST! any time I get new ram or get odd blue screens.

Im glad your resolved your issue without having to blow off cash on new mobo or other parts :p

not quite sandy maybe with the prefix "stupid" in the title :rolleyes: :D

And yes zonnza always a must to check your new ram few in as many progs as you can be botherd... my ram was fine a few months back, then I thrashed it to death so no RMA to moan about here.

it was never due to survive that long but A tad dissapointing.

still its nice to be running stable and flat out again.

more chance of holding up at 4GHz with just the four too :clap:

question is how much will some 1200ddr2 cost when these fail #Laughs# call me captain destructo or maybe crash garrard ace ram pilot.... or clockin fool?

until next time... :rolleyes:

Its a shame your Q9650 is so voltage hungry... i got my old Q9650 4GHz stable @ 1.33v...

its 10mv off that to do 3GHz standard hmmm #Laughs#

still a tickety 3600 is far better than a poke in the eye with that shower gell I used today... minty eye flavour fair stings!

Back