• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive making low pitched rattle...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I think this one may finally be on its last leg...

I was just moving some files between drives, and i noticed that my 250gig WD drive is making a low pitched rattle... almost like it's rattling against the side of the case, but it isn't. Could this be the bearings in the head finally dying, or is it something that i shouldn't worry about?

Maybe i'm just paranoid, but anytime i hear funny noises from a hard drive, my first inclination is to get all essential data off asap. Ask questions later.
When you say "side of the case', do you mean the HDD casing or your computer case?

Tighten the hard drive screws down, stop the fans, and listen again. If it still makes the noise I would get a new drive right away and transfer over.

Tighten the hard drive screws down, stop the fans, and listen again. If it still makes the noise I would get a new drive right away and transfer over.
I agree with this post. Make sure its tightened down first!!

HDD Noise = Either A) Copy data to new drive ASAP or B) Pull the power plug on the drive and do NOT boot up til you have another new drive in hand to do a full copy as soon as the system is powered back up.

Mech drives and Noise... they do not mix. I've only had 1 issue with my HDD and thankfully I was able to get a new drive in time before it crapped out.

Yeah, that was the first thing i did when i heard it. All the music, ect is now on my 320gig RAID 0 now...

Turns out a screw got its way on top of the drive (probably from when i rebuilt the comp last month) and was just rattling around...
Still probably time to replace this old drive... it's served me well since the first days of SATA lol

Back