• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Modems--which are the best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cursor

I'm tired of paying $5/month for a rental of a crappy modem. I'd like to buy one that isn't the entry level crap Comcast gives out.

I see this one, and am intrigued:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE/

Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem

Can anyone compare/contrast/recommend something better for similar $$ (~$100)?

Thanks in advance for your help. :beer:

Sorry I can't help but I also rock the "stock" Comcast modem and I'm curious if buying my own will possibly perform better?

Not that I'm suffering, I pay for 12Mb down 1.5 up and get this:
614498699.png

I paid $60 for a surfboard modem 2.5 years ago now. I was paying $3 a month and it has already been cheaper doing it this way.

Also they had me on a modem with docsis 1.0/1.1? and I was getting like 2mb/s down when paying for 8 down. Yes...its worth it

Also they had me on a modem with docsis 1.0/1.1? and I was getting like 2mb/s down when paying for 8 down. Yes...its worth it

Why did the idiots send a 1.0/1.1 modem?

I have that modem. First one was DOA but second seems to work but Comcast cant get the high speed to work upstream. Had it for nearly a year with no probs other then the lack of high up.

The enthusiast aftermarket cable modem favorite definitely seems to be Motorola Surfboards. I've used them for years with great results and none of the random downtime problems that I used to get with the stock TWC modems. If you're going to purchase your own, I heartily recommend a Surfboard.

just get something with docsis 3.0 since most cable companies are moving to this in the future.. though 2.0 should be fine for another year or more

Thanks for the advice, guys. Seems like everyone agrees that this is a good modem for my purposes, so I picked it up. I really appreciate the help!

dont mean to thread jack but i hate to make a 2nd thread with a similar question...

i have a ambit modem from TWC would it be worth it to upgrade to one of those motorola ones?

i dont really have any problems with my internet but if it can perform better why not right...

The Surfboards tend to be good. I've owned a couple over the years and they worked really well for me. I'd say go ahead and get a surfboard if you can. They tend to have a bit more informative diagnostics page than other modems if I recall.

Sorry I can't help but I also rock the "stock" Comcast modem and I'm curious if buying my own will possibly perform better?

Not that I'm suffering, I pay for 12Mb down 1.5 up and get this:
614498699.png

Damn wish my comcast was that fast. Im running the same 12/1.5 setup.

615906849.png

Back