• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best DOCSIS 3.0 Modem & Gigabit Switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattMan657

Hey all,

I'm moving into a new apartment soon and I'm going to need a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and two gigabit switches. For the switches I don't need anything super enterprise, but it has to be reliable and support gigabit.

The modem I am more concerned about. I have the option of leasing one from Comcast, but I assume it is far better to get my own. Any suggestions? I plan on getting one of the better internet packages from them along with my cable.

I see the Motorola Surfboard getting recommended here and there.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I've got a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 and it has been great.
Also have a Linksys 4-port Gigabit switch (whatever cheapest Gigabit Linksys was at the Office Depot) and it works flawlessly.

Would highly recommend both.

Looks like the 6141 is better. I'll probably be picking that up. I don't care about the white but I know what you mean.

Also consider the SBG6580, depending on the price you can find.

For the router, DIY one out of an old PC (P4 or later should be good, Core Duo or above better) and some network cards.

I have a good Cisco router already. Good there.

Isn't the SBG6580 the same as the SB6141 but with an integrated router?

Thomson DCM425 is another good pick, and if I remember it allows for faster upload.

It really depends on your ISP, every one has a list of supported modems.

I never bother with combo modem/routers, more to fail, and far more security problems.

Lots of excellent standalone routers to go with a good modem like the DCM425/6121.

Thomson DCM425 is another good pick, and if I remember it allows for faster upload.

It really depends on your ISP, every one has a list of supported modems.

I never bother with combo modem/routers, more to fail, and far more security problems.

Lots of excellent standalone routers to go with a good modem like the DCM425/6121.

The DCM 425 is not DOCSIS 3.0, it is 2.0. It does not support the faster speeds of 3.0 Many isp's consider no longer offer that modem. It is very old.

Aaaa wrong model, I meant DCM476, I have an old DCM425 sitting around, mixed up the numbers.

Ya DOSSIS 2 is not fully supported by some ISPs now.

Motorola Surfboard SB6141 modem, 2 x NETGEAR 8 Port Gigabit Business-Class Desktop Switch - Lifetime Warranty (GS108), and a handful of Cat6e cables ordered.

Thanks for the great advice.

Here is quick description of what my apt's setup will be.

1. Coaxial from wall into splitter
2. Splitter into Cable Box for TV and into SB6141 Modem
3. SB6141 Modem into Cisco Linksys E4200 v1 Router via Cat6e
4. Hooked up directly to E4200 will be both of the Netgear Gigabit Switches via Cat6e (only one of the switches will be in the main room next to the router & modem), Remaining two ports will be used for Marantz HT Receiver and either a smart tv, Xbox360, or PS4.
5. Hooked up to the E4200's USB port will be a 1TB Seagate Constellation Enterprise 7200RPM HDD in an external enclosure to act as an NAS. This will store mostly music.

All of the above is in the main living room.

6. The second Netgear Gigabit switch will sit in my office w/ my computer. It will be connected to the E4200 router via a long Cat6e cable.
7. Connected to that switch will be my desktop build which has a mobo w/ two network adapters aka two ethernet ports, a small laptop used for music sharing, a Squeezebox Touch, and a few other goodies.

The apt is basically going to turn into a media center and home office. I plan on using DLNA on my Marantz receiver to read files off of the HDD on the router. Will be all lossless FLAC.

The one part that kind of stinks is the Squeezebox touch doesn't work well when reading music files off of an NAS. To do that you need to use a computer as the controller which would feed the music to the Squeezebox, as opposed to using the Squeezebox as the controller to isolate it from another computer which is what I like to do. So to mitigate that I will have (which I do today) the same kind of Seagate HDD mentioned above in another external enclosure plugged into the back of the Squeezebox via USB, and the Squeezebox reads the files locally. This will result in me needing to maintain the data in two separate locations as opposed to one centralized. Not that big of a deal, but will add an extra step for optimum performance.

Back