• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer, budget ~$900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cderrow

So for the last 5 years, I've been using a Dell Dimension 3000 to try and play games on. Finally I convinced my parents this year to help me pay for a computer this Christmas. It has to be around $900. I'll be using the mouse, keyboard, monitor, and headphones that I already have. I really only need a new core system, so this is what I came up with:

25s6f0o.png.jpg

Tell me if it looks good, or any improvements you can think of. Any help would be appreciated :).

LG dvd burners have been coming with adware recently. I would get a different brand.

Beyond that, it looks pretty good.

Here you go, EarthDog:

640GB Caviar Black
HD 4890 1 GB
Mushkin Blackline 2 x 2 GB
Core i5 750
Asus P7P55D
CM C700W PSU
CM HAF 922

I think it looks very good overall. The only thing; I am nVidia's *****. I just think they are the leader, and AMD is just a poser. But whatever. Brand battles FTL. However, Intel does destroy all in processors, so good choice there.

EDIT: grab a different PSU. Liek a 750HX. Modular cables FTW!

Last edited:
Thanks x30jx!! :beer:

I would also agree with using a different PSU. While Im sure that Coolermaster will be fine, there are better brands out there. x30jx suggested a Corsair 750TX (which BTW the HX are modular not TX). I concur with that. Though if you never plan on going Crossfire, you can easily get away with 550VX (and overclocking) and save a few bucks.

oooooH cderrow got the links :rolleyes: Still beat ya to it :D

EarthDog: I promise to never, ever post while i am trying to run from the keyboard to pee. :D How's work?
But Back on topic, it's ALWAYS best to over do a power supply, with availability of extra hard drives, crossfire as mentioned, SLI if you do go nVidia, et al. Plus, PSUs efficiencies are rated at 80%, not near borderline, so the higher powered units will give you better, greener performance. (...Right?) :)

Almost over..thanks!

Cderrow - are you overclocking? If so, you may want to look into DDR3 1600 ram to give you some headroom. :)

i don't plan on overclocking anything at first, so i think ddr3 1333 should be fine

An article on memory performance with socket 1156/1366 is going to be posted up in the next couple of weeks. You may want to find some faster RAM (thats all I can say for now ;) )

EDIT: saw that was already mentioned :) If you are not overclocking than 1333 will be fine and TBH it should do 1600 +. Most mem anymore scales way outside it specs.

you are at your budget now... but in the future (especially come, say spring time) you may want to look at a 3rd party heatsink for better dissipation.

oooooH cderrow got the links :rolleyes: Still beat ya to it :D

EarthDog: I promise to never, ever post while i am trying to run from the keyboard to pee. :D How's work?
But Back on topic, it's ALWAYS best to over do a power supply, with availability of extra hard drives, crossfire as mentioned, SLI if you do go nVidia, et al. Plus, PSUs efficiencies are rated at 80%, not near borderline, so the higher powered units will give you better, greener performance. (...Right?) :)
Not ALWAYS, but generally absolutely yes. For example, a 1KW PSU for this or a similar system idling around 140W would yield an astounding 59% efficiency rating (BFG 1KW PSU, see jonnyguru article). BUt if thats your issue and solution of pinching pennies, you have no right buying a PC in the first place. :)

The 550VX would easily handle a couple (2-4) of HDD's and USB perihperals and overclocking said system. That rig would be in the sweetspot with everything loaded (abour 350-400W) so effciciency wouldnt be an issue there as its not close to its 12v output rating.

But good golly, RT strikes again with a solid deal on that 650TX!!!

But good golly, RT strikes again with a solid deal on that 650TX!!!

I just left Newegg shopping that area!

And he's under budget with a 650w power supply that puts out more than the Coolermaster 700. It don't get any better than that. :)

Back