• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 4050e - problems OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

almaster666

Hey guys,

I wanted to OC my AMD Athlon 4050e (2.1GHz) I'm not looking to mess with the voltage and get to 3.5GHz, I'd just like to bump it up from 2.1 to 2.8 or so
Only problem is, my BIOS doesn't give me any options to tweak the CPU or FSB.
I wanted to try AMD OverDrive but my chipset isn't supported.
So, basically my question is: am I sh* outta luck and need a new Mobo? or is there some piece of software from which I can either: unlock my BIOS or tweak the frequencies from Windows?

cpu.png

Mainboard.png

Obviously, I don't want to buy a new motherboard. I just bought this computer because my laptop died and I was strapped for cash. It was a pretty good deal for under $500 (screen included). Now I want to upgrade it component by component. And for that I was hoping to start with case/fans/cooling/graphics card rather than MOBO/CPU/RAM.

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks

Arthur

Why is your screenshot showing 1.65 vCore?

Check that with other apps like HWMonitor/Everest/CoreTemp (VID field).

These CPUs don't OC well without increased voltage, a good board and good cooling. Max mine did stable was 2.50GHz on stock voltage (same CPU). With your board, you are pretty much out of luck.

For $500, I am sure you could've built a far better PC. This is old EOL tech. AMD Regor and 780G/785G chipset has replaced it and sells for the same price nowadays. I have just finished a similar upgrade to these components.

Why is your screenshot showing 1.65 vCore?

Check that with other apps like HWMonitor/Everest/CoreTemp (VID field).

These CPUs don't OC well without increased voltage, a good board and good cooling. Max mine did stable was 2.50GHz on stock voltage (same CPU). With your board, you are pretty much out of luck.

For $500, I am sure you could've built a far better PC. This is old EOL tech. AMD Regor and 780G/785G chipset has replaced it and sells for the same price nowadays. I have just finished a similar upgrade to these components.

Yeah, I've been reading up and asking questions and I think I'm just going to take my time and build another PC. I mean, this one handles GTA 4 just fine so I'm not desperate yet :p
I'll check my voltage with another program, thanks for the heads up

Yeah, I've been reading up and asking questions and I think I'm just going to take my time and build another PC. I mean, this one handles GTA 4 just fine so I'm not desperate yet :p
I'll check my voltage with another program, thanks for the heads up

This looks like an Acer built computer, and they will not let you O/C this computer at all. There are no pin mods for this processor that I am aware of so you are stuck at stock.

Shame this is a good little overclocker.

This looks like an Acer built computer, and they will not let you O/C this computer at all. There are no pin mods for this processor that I am aware of so you are stuck at stock.

Shame this is a good little overclocker.

On top of all of this, it's an nForce chipset; AMD Overdrive can not and will not ever work with them.

Is there an equivalent Nvidia-sourced utility to do the same for nForce chipsets from within windows? If not, you're stuck; that's what buying an OEM computer nets one - a fully assembled, ready-to-go box that has 0 ability to go above and beyond stock speeds. Such is life.

Back