• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

you gotta see the size of these!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joatam316

Registered
Wow, my aunt was keeping from me these pair of 120mm case fans. I've thought of various ideas as to how to make good use of them, but there is one problem. The freakin fans com with there own power cables. I was wondering if i could cut it and attach a 4pin molex connector. I'll try to put pictures on tonight so that you can see these things!!

any Advice is welcome on how to do this

if the fans have their own power plugs ( like the kind that go into a wall socket) you CAN'T put a molex connector on them.

Those fans are AC
and pcs are DC

but good luck

Umm..if you mean "they come with their own power cables" as in they plug straight into your wall, then those are AC current fans you have there. You can not plug it into a molex connector because the molex connectors run on 12v DC.

If you plan on using those in your system, you will have to do a little modding to your psu so it can power the AC fans. Similar mods are done when people incorporate the eheim water pumps in their system.

If you mean they just have 2 wires coming from the fan, then you could splice them right into the molex connectors.

If you can't tell whether it is AC or DC, look on the sticker on the fan.

Krusty, how do you propose that i mod a little bit so that i can get the fans to run off the psu. my psu has a connection were i could power one of them but how do i power the other .

I've got a 120 mm AC fan connected to the PSU. What you need to do is the following:

Cut the plug from the fan and leave the naked cables ready.

If you would like o have a fan reostat or switch, install one in one of the live wires of the fan.

Unplug your PSU.

Carefully open your PSU. (watch out the big capacitors, they can give you a shock).

Located the inside part of the plug from the PSU. YOu can see that there are three cables going out of the plug and to the PSU componentes.

Locate the two live wires and the ground wire. If you leave in America, then the top 2 are live wires and the lone one is ground.

You can pass the fan cables thrue one of the many holes of the PSU cover sheet or do one new. USe some shrinking tube so that the cables do not touch the cover.

Solder your fan cables to the inside of the plug. If you have a ground wire from the fan, solder it to the groung plug.

Close the PSU.

If you did it right, everytimes there is some power to the PSU the fan will start. Only by unplugging the PSU or installing a switch in one of the fan wires you can turn off the fan.....

Hope this give you some ideas.....

DISCLAMER: Opening the PSU is not dangerous if you know what are you doing, as playing with AC or DC current. Any harm to you, your PC or any other objects/animals/persons is your sole responsability.

Or if you know which DC wires are which, you can get a simple AC/DC converter. I used to have one of these that plugged up to a 12V car battery and you could plug an AC-powered unit into it. I used it for launching rockets out in the middle of nowhere. Not sure if amperage is a concern tho, coz I think that would be a bit different.

Back