• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 cpu and p5q se/r optimal settings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuraiholy

I keep running into an error(below) and heard that it could be related to BIOS settings. I have everything my board as AUTO and need to find out what to set for...apt settings. I dont' really need to overclock per se, just looking for stability.

Processor: Q6600
Motherboard: P5Q SE/R

I'm not really sure what all to put as I'm fairly new to this. But if any more information is needed, let me know.

Error:
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Excepion
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor ID:0

The Processor ID ranges from 0 to 3,

Check for memory related errors w/ Memtest86+. And you might also want to post a direct link to your specific RAM (showing SPD timings and default DRAM voltage), or at least post pic's of the SPD and Memory tabs in CPU-Z.

Well. I've tested each stick of ram seperately in the box and in different bays and still getting the errors. I'll run a thorough test with some diag programs I have tomorrow when I can get it from work.

actually I didn't use memtest, I just took all ram out, put one ram in a random slot, booted, and recreated the error. Happened for all 4 sticks.

I googled the error I posted and it seemed to be a problem with voltage. I actually found the post on this site. Here's the link:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=605883

I just didn't really comprehend what he did to fix the issue.

Your problem sounds like your ram isn't getting enough voltage. Check and see what the recommended voltage is. Figure between 1.8V and 2.1V. Try upping just your ram and make sure that it isn't too far overclocked.

More details would help as well.

quick question. I just realized my ram is 800mhz and my processor is 1066mhz. I had always heard that basically just slows down communication but not mess things up. Could that be what's causing the problem?

Is your ram installed Interleaved mode? 1st and 3rd / 2nd and 4th slot?

Since your using a p5q Mobo, put your Ram on Auto and set DRAM Frequency to DDR2-800mhz.

Raise your Ram Voltage to 1.8-2.0V, 2.0V should be safe for you.

Raise your NB Voltage to 1.4V

But before all of that, do yourself a favor and take pictures of your Bios Screens for more accurate help.

Yes, they're interleaved.

Ai Overclock Tuner: Auto
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800mhz
DRAM Timing Control: Auto
1st: 5-5-5-18-3-42-6-3
2nd: 8-3-5-4-6-4-7
3rd: 14-5-1-6-6
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
DRAM Read Training: Auto
Mem. OC Charter: Auto
Ai Clock Twister: Auto
Ai Transaction Booster: Auto
C/P: A1 A2 | B1 B2
LVL: 08 08 | 08 08

CPU Voltage: Auto
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
Memory Voltage: 2.0
North Bridge Voltage: 1.40
South Bridge Voltage: Auto

Load-Line Calibration: AUto
CPU GTL Reference: Auto
CPU Spread Specturm: Auto
PCIE: Spread Spectrum: Auto
CPU CLock Skew: Auto
NB Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Margen Enhancement: Optimized

I had the north bridge and memory voltage set already. Just set the DDR2-800mhz. Going to test now

Thanks for all the help so far.

About an hour in, no crashes. I'll test it more later but it seems ok.

The thing now is, sometimes it hangs, and my video card's driver, atikmdag, stops responding and has to be recovered. It just hangs a few seconds then it's ok. I'm seeing that pop up in event log. I wonder if it could possibly be my power supply isn't strong enough in general. It's a 630watt.

Been running extensively now and that seems to have fixed my problem. Setting the ram voltage, speed, and the north bridge voltage manually is working. The only problem I have now is with the atikmdag error. Time to chase that rabbit down. Apparently it's been a problem for a while now but there's a lot of random "fixes" people are saying worked.

Thank you all for your help. You all rock.

Back