• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

auto start for vm & ubuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
:shrug:Is there a way to automatically start fah in a vm when logging on in windows?

I would think that I could start vmware player easily enough but how do I tell it to start the vm? and how do I start fah within ubuntu at startup?

Any tips are appreciated......
Thanks

You can make a shortcut for it, and put it in your startup folder. This is on a Windows XP system, right? Windows 7 and Vista have slightly different requirements and I don't have a box to test this on for them.

Starting fah automatically on startup in Ubuntu, is just a matter of putting a small script file in place. I've seen the script file contents, but I'm too much of a Linux noob to have set it up.

Oh Shelnutt2! (he's our default Linux guru).

I put a shortcut to vmplayer in the startup folder, but, it only starts vmplayer. It doesn't start the actual ubuntu vm though.

you can create a batch file to start the vm.
Open notepad or some other text editor and place

"c:\program files\vmware\vmware workstation\vmplayer.exe" -x "c:\VMs\Ubuntu.vmx"

"c:\program files\vmware\vmware workstation\vmplayer.exe" - the path for your vmplayer
"c:\VMs\Ubuntu.vmx" - the path to your vmware image

Save the file with a .bat extension and place it on your startup folder.

You can edit your rc.local file to run fah but I think it would only run when you login to your ubuntu machine. Not sure. Forgot about this. I don't have a machine here I could test. I'll try it at home.

Last edited:
I put a shortcut to vmplayer in the startup folder, but, it only starts vmplayer. It doesn't start the actual ubuntu vm though.

I prefer to start my own, but I thought if you could daisy chain these startups, one to the other, via their initialization files, etc.

Harlam's bat file seems an easier way to go.

-x "c:\VMs\Ubuntu.vmx"
I just added that (but the proper path) to the target line in the shorcut properties and that got the vm to start up properly.
Thanks!

I have messed around with the startup files and scripts in ubuntu but I can't seem to get it to work. But I am a ubuntu noob. I probably am not doing it right.

Ubuntu 9.10 allows automatic start without a login, so you can create a shortcut to the .vmx flie and put it in the startup folder, no need for a batch file. That will start the vm and ubuntu will start if set to automatic login. Then edit rc.local to start fah.

Back