• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SchrodingersCat

Registered
Yes, i read the FAQ.

Well, it turns on...fans spin...hdd's spin.

It used to boot then shutdown and kept going like that...i thought that the motherboard was touching the metallic case and a protection shuts it down, so i removed all parts from the case and placed it on a wooden peace.

Now it boots, fans and all spin, but no beeping, screen doesn't show a thing...NOTHING, i used my old P4 cpu, not my new q9400 and my old ram, all those parts are working and worked 30min before i took the whole thing apart.

i seriously have no idea wtf is wrong with it |:

I thought that i didn't mount the CPU headsink right, but if that was the case it would shutdown, coz heat is still produced.

any ideas? >.<

Last edited:
ok firstly, is your BIOS updated?

Your motherboard may need a BIOS flash to support the Q9xxx cpu series. (I know I needed one on my ASUS P5Q-E)

Secondly, clear your CMOS, this can be done by taking out the CMOS battery and leaving your computer unplugged for about 10 minutes. Then put it back in, and try again.

Lastly, try taking out sticks of RAM, moving them around. Often times I've spent 10 minutes scratching my head as to why i dont get POST, then after removing all my 4 sticks, and trying each individually (and in different spots) it booted up fine. After that I added my sticks back in, rebooting each time. Eventually I got all 4 back in and the PC ran fine.

You don't get POST for one of only 3 reasons: Motherboard (incompatibility with cpu for e.g), RAM, or video card. No other reason, so try swapping each around. Start with the RAM, it's the easiest and the most common to fail first.

I got the P5Q-C...so maybe, but it's currently plugged with a P4 3.0GHz CPU...and no, bios is whatever it came when a i bought the mb.

ill try the CMOS.

it does the exact same thing even without RAM sticks, i thought i plugged the speaker wrong but i tried both ways and still no beeping or anything...i'll report my results, thx.

I got the P5Q-C...so maybe, but it's currently plugged with a P4 3.0GHz CPU...and no, bios is whatever it came when a i bought the mb.

ill try the CMOS.

it does the exact same thing even without RAM sticks, i thought i plugged the speaker wrong but i tried both ways and still no beeping or anything...i'll report my results, thx.

ok, all you need connected, is your motherboard, cpu, RAM and video card to get POST, and obviously your monitor and power supply. Disconnect anything else (including speakers). it won't post with 0 RAM installed. You have to have atleast one stick. You should really try to flash the BIOS, but it's hard when you can't get the damn thing to POST lol.

The P5Q-C has a dual 4pin CPU connector

55snm.jpg

I didn't plug em both, just one four pin plug, i thought that the extra one is for a QX**** cpu series...was i right?

If that is the problem, i am going to stab myself...i'll go test it and and report back, thanks.

Back