• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU affinity can it cause damage to CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poopboypat

Ok, I have a dual core processor and was wondering if I can improve performance to the host. If I set 2 Virtual machines to core 1 and only core 1, will core 1 get too much heat? Currently with both Cores set to each VM and I am getting about 40% CPU usage. If I put both VM on core 1 then most of the CPU usage goes to core 1 about 90% usage.

The VM’s run 24 hours a day and so that load is constant. Is shifting that much load on one core bad? I don’t really want to burn out one side of my processor.

Yes I realized its time for an upgrade if im having this problem, but I just dont have the money to do a full upgrade to a quad core.... :(

I have a Quad but I run my VM's on two processors.

I have all services set on the zero processor, any other programs run on one or more of the other three. I do see a small increase in heat on the two and three processors when I run more than one VM at the same time, no performance degrading either.

So I would think if your ran everything on the first processor then only the VM's on the second processor you would see a differance in your performance.

I have been using different affinity programs for years with VM's (mostly servers) and have never had a problem with doing it this way. You have to off load any programs and services from the processor you are using for the VM though. (I used to hack the regisrty to change the affinity but starting with XP/Server 2003 the settings don't work any more [sigh] and you have to have a program such as Set Affinity II).

HTH...

Back