• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contrast ratio really that important?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
My sister is looking for a new monitor. Currently using a 17" CRT. She is on a budget, and trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Max amount $179 with shipping...

I've recommend to types that I like, however the contrast ratio's between the two are off the wall.. 30000:1 vs 2000:1. Now I currently own a 24" Gateway and love it and it has a 1000:1 contrast ratio... Are these numbers anything to be concerned with?

LG 23" and a Gateway 24"

Thats a reasonable conclusion. However I would confirm by goin to the MFG website. ;)

You can see in your choices the significant different between the two DC=30k and real 2k (which is good, and brightness of 400 is solid as well).

Thats a reasonable conclusion. However I would confirm by goin to the MFG website. ;)

You can see in your choices the significant different between the two DC=30k and real 2k (which is good, and brightness of 400 is solid as well).

Well that is my question, how do you know what are good numbers? 2000:1 and 400 brightness? What do most people look for in this? That's the real question. Reading about what Contrast ratio is not really important at the moment..

It certainly helps to have a handle on the subject first which I why I gave the backround...

Anyway, for contrast ratio, stick to 1k:1 or higher (Static CR) and brightness should be 300cd/2 or higher.

It certainly helps to have a handle on the subject first which I why I gave the backround...

Anyway, for contrast ratio, stick to 1k:1 or higher (Static CR) and brightness should be 300cd/2 or higher.

Perfect! I already understand the technology, I just needed an answer to my question...

:cool:

• Recommended Resolution: 1920 x 1200
  • Viewing Angle: 170°(H) / 160°(V)
  • Pixel Pitch: 0.309mm
  • Display Colors: 16.7 Million
  • Brightness: 400 cd/m2
  • Contrast Ratio: DC 15000:1(800:1) <-----------

The ratio...Every 15000 DC is 800 Static

Actually, this is not the case. (Just read) Every manufacture uses their own way to determine the Dynamic Contrast ratio.

SO there is no way to convert it...

Last edited:
The ratio...Every 15000 DC is 800 Static.
I dont believe that to be true, and have no idea how you extrapolated that information from ONE example, but I will at least admit I dont know for certain. The reason I believe this not to be true is b/c its dynamic. The bulb in the back lowers and raises to give the appearance of a better ratio (this is intrinsic in the meaning of DC vs. Static constrast that you said you knew). So the static ratio really has nothing to do with the the dynamic really.

Please correct me if I am wrong with a link from a reputable source... :)

EDIT: But here is proof bunking that that 'theory' of yours..:

HDTV monitor w/ built-in digital TV tuner
SAMSUNG TOC T260HD Rose Black 25.5" 5ms Widescreen HDTV Monitor Build in TV Tuner - Retail
1920 x 1200
DC 10000:1(1000:1)
D-Sub DVI HDMI

Hanns·G HH-241HPB Black 23.6" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor Built-in Speakers - Retail
1920 x 1080 5ms
DC 15000:1(1000:1)
D-Sub HDMI

SAMSUNG 2494HM Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor Built-in Speakers - Retail
1920 x 1080 5ms
DC 50000:1 (1000:1)
D-Sub DVI HDMI

http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=20&Tpk=LCD monitors

Last edited:
I dont believe that to be true, but I will admit I dont know. The reason I believe this not to be true is b/c its dynamic. The bulb in the back lowers and raises to give the appearance of a better ratio. So the static ratio really has nothing to do with the the dynamic really.

Please correct me with a link from a reputable source... :)

I would provide you with mine, but I admited it was a guess.

Well do some searching and "READ" ... hahahaha

Here is another monitor:

Display Screen Size 25.5" Widescreen Yes Recommended Resolution 1920 x 1200 Viewing Angle 170°(H) / 160°(V) Brightness 450 cd/m2 Contrast Ratio DC 6000:1(800:1)

EDIT: Here is a LINK for you!

You should look at my edit before you gag yourself with your foot.... :)

Your link tells me the same thing I just linked you.....

EDIT: ICWUTUDID - Ninja edit on your part... you recanted on such a silly statement... Good! :bday: :cool: :comp:

Reading all that just confused me more... From what I can tell both of you are now agreeing while.... not. Anyways good to know about the difference between dynamic and static contrast.

He reneged on that statement while I was typing up the EDIT to that reply and ended up agreeing with me. Ninja edits FTMFL!!!! ;)

Contrast ratios aren't entirely made-up, but they're close enough to it that it would be wise to ignore them entirely. You can think of it sorta like the 'peak' and 'PMPO' ratings on audio gear.

There's no standard measurement, so one company's 1000:1 could be another's 2000:1 or vice versa. 1000:1 seems to be the standard everybody shoots for now, so that's pretty much becoming the baseline that gets slapped onto box labels regardless.

Back