• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding a macbook pro. Is this feasible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I have a friend who might be able to get me a good deal on a macbook pro. I am not a fan of macs, however, so I would put winxp on it. To complete the package, there are a few mods I want to do but I'm not sure if they're feasible (practically and financially). My biggest issue is that I am super picky, so if it doesn't look perfect I will not be happy.

1. Keyboard Mod:
To make this more of a windows pc, I would want to replace the alt/option keys and cmd keys with a regular alt key and windows key. I figure I'd need to give the keys to someone, have them mold it and recast it in the same plastic, and get the text/symbol on there. But it would have to be the same color, same plastic, etc. And I'm not sure if the writings could be mimicked properly.

2. Cover Mod:
I want to take off the glowing apple logo on the lid, and replace it with a windows one. So I could either remove the existing aluminum and cut around the apple logo to make it, but then I'd have to redo the plastic to get the four separate parts of the windows logo, and there would be no aluminum in between the windows "squares".

The preferred option would be to create an aluminum piece from scratch, and custom carve the windows logo and plastic. My concern is matching the aluminum and cost.

I want to know this is feasible before I jump into it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Back