• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech thermal pads - Don't remove the film??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I just got the GTX285 Heatsink by Swiftech and noticed something abit strange in the installation instructions.

The thermal pads provided have a clear plastic sheet on one side, and a blue plastic(?) sheet on the other.

The instructions state to install the thermal pads with the blue plastic sheet side facing up, but;

"Do not attempt to remove the blue film protection, it is designed to stay in place and it allows several heatsink installations without the need for replacement of the pads."

The heatsink is held on by the stock heatsink screws, so the tape doesn't hold the heatsink in place. But this doesn't sit right with me as it appears to be nothing more then a blue plastic film, just as thick as the clear plastic film on the other side of the thermal pad. Has anyone ever come across something like this? I find it very strange and wrong to leave a plastic film on between the thermal pad and the component its supposed to cool.

I'm going to end up either using Artic Ceramique* (if the heatsink sits flush with all the components it needs to cool) or just take off the blue strips as I have no need to be uninstalling and re-installing the heatsink, but any insight on this new film would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Methinks you can remove the blue tape if you will use new tape next time. I'm sure it's designed to be left on as instructed and will make no difference in temps. Like you said, you'll hopefully be doing it once, so thats up to you.

You NEED to use thermal tape where it is on the block. The thickness of the tape has been accounted for clearance issues. Some parts sit higher and lower due to manufacturing differences with Mosfets and the like. If you try and use TPaste instead, you won't even make contact on many of those parts.

Back