• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So was wondering is there any other way to cool a PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcraw07

I seen the ice packs or w/e behind the motherboard yea... no. I can keep my PC at around room temp when idle and when playing games around 3-5c plus.

I currently jump between 20-24c when idle and 28-32 when gaming. But that's when my room is 22c. So Yea I guess I nearly did the best I can with fans. Is there any other way of cooling and I'm to nervous about water cooling.

Current Setup
design.png

Equipment:

80mm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&Tpk=Rexus TopMotor DF128015PH 80mm Case Fan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
120mm non stock:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9029&cm_re=SUNON_120mm-_-11-999-029-_-Product

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&Tpk=COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC
Heat sink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003
PCI:http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-slot-cooler-uvblue.html

I know I have posted a few threads in the past but that was about my sensor issue now I just figure lets over kill my heating issues and not worry. .... I even though about buying a ac unit and hooking it up hahahah.

Last edited:
You can buy a phase cooler. It's like a refridgerator. A good phase to get your CPU where your asking for should only cost $500 to $900. Kinda loud, and lots of electricity bills for 24/7 usage.

My goodness, seeing a CPU at 28-32 C at load makes me wonder. What amazing cooling do you have or what silly thing are you relying on for measuring temps. My i7 at idle is 29C and I have a massive overdone watercooling loop for just the CPU. I load at 50C or so. Somethings wrong in my reality.

You got some issues to figure out, first what load programs are you using and what temp proggy are you using? Look down father in the posts for the guy who asked what proggies to measure temps with..............

Be nice to know what your cooling. Maybe you got an Atom CPU underclocked.

Make a sig........... show us what you got.

Last edited:
I think those are the internal case temps. Not sure though.

I would work on structuring your airflow.
For instance, if your CPU heatsink takes air in from outside the case, and exhausts it back outside the case, none of the CPU heat is heating the case air.
If the GPU is also set up to intake and exhaust outside air, that leaves on the northbridge as a major heat producer, and it's 15-30w is not nearly as much to deal with as the CPUs 65-150w and the GPUs 60-300w (don't know what cpu or gpu you have).
If you don't have those things heating you case, you can put little fans on the north/southbridge and have a single slow speed 120mm intake fan on the front blowing air over the hard drives, and the PSU fan sucking air out cooling itself. Block all the other fan holes off.

The OCing world seems to be set on having a super clean open case with tons of fans moving a lot of air. While that does work, some careful ducting, while not as pretty, is IMO more effective and is certainly cheaper.

May I suggest you do this?

Run Realtemp. Log your room temps. State your idle temps all 4 cores.

Run Prime 95, all four cores loaded for 20 min.

Log your room temps, report your max realtemp settings on all four cores.

Might want to calibrate your sensors in realtemp, you might have bad sensors at the low end, VERY common with your CPU.

O yea Prime95 and doing it right. Priceless.

Like I said the top two sensors are retarded and my room is always near 66-69f at this time, so back to how to cool it further, AC DVD expansion bay unit? Only thing scares me if it leaks.

Last edited:
lol funny a Trojan tried to get me silly trojans :) Eset/Malwarebytes/Superanti on my side.

Sorry your having issues with getting the right software. Maybe going to the source websites and not the top of the google list will help.

I see your load temp above 40C already, a gain of many many C. So once you get your actual temps figured out we can see where your at.

Ambient temps between 20-25C is kinda wide you think? Thats 70F to 77F. Every 1C in ambients is 1C in PC temps. We are dealing with air cooling, which relies on ambient temps. Only way we can really see where your at.

o yea heheh i was think F when I said that with the distance here let me look at what the temps been recently ( leave windows open ) everytime I do the tests its always around 66-69f nothing changed in the last 4-5 days (alot o rain keeps **** cold)

So when ya can give good results thats great. Don't need screen shots, just what is kinda the standard results.
Run Realtemp. Log your room temps, type it into the post. State your idle temps all 4 cores, type it into the post.

Run Prime 95, all four cores loaded for 20 min.

Log your room temps, type it into the post, report your max realtemp settings on all four cores, type it into the post.

ie.

Using Realtemps with calibrated temps.

At idle my room temps were xx. My four cores were xx, xx, xx, xx.

Running Prime 95, small ffts for 20 min, my room temps were xx and the cores were at xx, xx, xx, xx.

Then we got some standard temps.

BTW, that chip you got is at standard clocks? Or even underclocked? Use CPU Z to look at your numbers.

0-1-2-3
Before
40-40-22-24c
After
52-46-44-47c
Duration: 23 min
Room Temp: 68F/20c

Not too shabby! Your temps are really good, cores are pretty close in temps. You could even overclock the CPU somewhat!

You do have some stuck sensors but they seem to be fine under load. Nothin you can do about the stuck sensors.

Test # 2
0-1-2-3
Before
40-40-21-23c
After
51-44-43-44c
Duration: 27 min
Room Temp: 67F/19.5c

Your PC temps are dependent on ambient temps. The cooler the room is, the cooler the pc will be, it's that simple. Nothing else can be done about that.

If you want it cooler, consider going watercooled.

I see, have you seen the DVD expansion bay ac units whats your thoughts?

I've read articles saying that they took my Processor to 3.33 GHZ and have it happy. Is there really any difference between a 2.5 and a 3.0 GHZ Quad core? Anything I will notice?

What I do:
Play Call of Duty MW2
Listen to Music
Search websites for the latest fun computer **** to do.

When I play CODMW2 I see my CPU % jump from 30%-64% while playing and my Ram at 40% (G15 Display).

When Idle my load goes from 0.6%-1.7% (Real Temps)

Back