• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

360 Headset is junk - Anyone know how to improvise with a PC Headset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I know there are a ton of hacks out there. I actually have a bunch of PC headsets, even quality ones.

I saw a hack where I can use a PC headset but only for voice and communication. I want GAMEPLAY and voice communication on a PC headset. Is this possible?

I want it solely because I live with my girlfriend and the only time I play is when she goes to bed, for obvious reasons. :) I try not to play the 360 when I can hang out with her, again for obvious reasons.

The one thing I'm afraid of is I might need an amplifier or something... but what if I can hack the original 360 headset connector piece to my PC headset, and then use an RCA to headphone adapter from the 360 console to my PC headset. Would it be possible to put 2 inputs into my headphones?

I can't afford to potentially waste time trying and failing. I won't attempt this if failure is a possibility. I just don't have time for that kinda stuff these days.
Here's an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Ear-Force-X3-..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1229531962&sr=1-7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874502002&Tpk=Ear Force X3
This is wireless, but it's still taking the audio from the RCA to make it wireless... I could just run a wire if this is all possible.
*Edit* Here's a wired version, exactly what I need:
http://www.amazon.com/Ear-Force-X1-...0?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1229531962&sr=1-10

I'm not paying for something I might be able to hack and create. I have a Steelsound 5H V2 that is nearly new and unused, and an Icemat Siberia... they are spares.

Last edited:
There's several ways to do it:

http://everythingandnothing.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!759F0B3484575700!199.entry

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/xbox-360-controller-headset-wiring-diagram.htm

Though I've heard the best option is to just plug it in directly using a 2.5mm jack. Doesn't work if it's USB though.....

unless you can find a stereo version of this:
http://sewelldirect.com/Samsung-Hel...rce=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cse

The 360 headset is not stereo but you need a 2.5mm stereo plug so that one pole can carry the audio out (earpiece) and the other the audio in (mic).

I'm not sure what you mean by gameplay with the headset, you get audio in and audio out, that is all so I'm not sure where gameplay comes into effect.

of course you could always do a DYI bluetooth like this guy:
kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/diy-xbox-360-handsfree-headset-158858.php

Last edited:
There's several ways to do it:

http://everythingandnothing.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!759F0B3484575700!199.entry

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/xbox-360-controller-headset-wiring-diagram.htm

Though I've heard the best option is to just plug it in directly using a 2.5mm jack. Doesn't work if it's USB though.....

unless you can find a stereo version of this:
http://sewelldirect.com/Samsung-Hel...rce=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cse

The 360 headset is not stereo but you need a 2.5mm stereo plug so that one pole can carry the audio out (earpiece) and the other the audio in (mic).

I'm not sure what you mean by gameplay with the headset, you get audio in and audio out, that is all so I'm not sure where gameplay comes into effect.

of course you could always do a DYI bluetooth like this guy:
kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/diy-xbox-360-handsfree-headset-158858.php

I think I've come across those articles. The Intec adapter... I thought that's to adapt the old xbox headset to the 360 controller??

Here's what I want:
A PC headset that has the voice commuication AND the gameplay audio, and the microphone for voice.

I want the headset to also have the gameplay audio so that I can turn off my 5.1 surround receiver so that my gf can sleep in peace!! :)

*Edit*
I already have a broken headset... I got angry one day from Gears of War 2 and when I put the 360 headset back in our coffee table's drawer it must have been sticking out when I slammed the drawer shut lol. Now I have to hold the headset to my ear and play with one hand... thankfully I had a spare, but this broken one is waiting to be hacked.

I think I will just have to chake the tance and mod this ***** up. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't think there's a way to do that because the 360 controller doesn't output the game audio. You'd have to find a way to have the headset receive 2 sources, one from the RCAs or optical cable and one from the controller's mic/voice 2.5mm jack.

edit: I take it back you CAN do it but you're not going to get stereo sound from the headphoes, you'd have to select the L or R one to dedicate one to the audio coming from the controller earpiece/mic and the other from the game so you'd have both but each would be in mono.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't think there's a way to do that because the 360 controller doesn't output the game audio. You'd have to find a way to have the headset receive 2 sources, one from the RCAs or optical cable and one from the controller's mic/voice 2.5mm jack.

edit: I take it back you CAN do it but you're not going to get stereo sound from the headphoes, you'd have to select the L or R one to dedicate one to the audio coming from the controller earpiece/mic and the other from the game so you'd have both but each would be in mono.

Is it possible to get 2 separate outputs into a headphone... that's pretty much the ONLY question I need answered. I don't have a split to test with right now.

For example, if I had a stereo y-adapter, would I be able to plug in an mp3 player and say my PC into the adapter, and then adapter then into my headphones... will I get both sources of sound?

If so, I can def do this. I can throw the 360 controller to the R channel for just one speaker for xbox live communication, and then I'll throw the RCAs from the rear of the console (adapted to stereo 3.5mm) to my headset as stereo sound.

This sounds like exactly what I'd love to do with my headset I have. Where I can still get full Stereo sound through it, and be able to use the mic and hear people talk back as well. Sucks the only option is on the controller for mic/mic headphone support.

i was in the same position as you with not able to use speakers, so i was thinking of what your thinking of doing but then i realized i suck at hacking/modding so i took the easy way out and bought tritton axpro and use that for 360 and pc 5.1 plus mic sounds great on both pc and xbox 360 =[ i would of loved to of modded my icemats to make it work but i fail

link to headset if you think about buying one or something

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235005&Tpk=axpro

Man that was a headset I was thinking about getting, but decided to get my Sennheiser PC 350 instead because it was slightly cheaper.

It's too bad the controller won't output game audio as well as voice. I'd love to have a [wireless] stereo headset for the times when the wife and kids are sleeping myself. Hint, Hint, Microsoft. Make it happen!

Is it possible to get 2 separate outputs into a headphone... that's pretty much the ONLY question I need answered. I don't have a split to test with right now.

For example, if I had a stereo y-adapter, would I be able to plug in an mp3 player and say my PC into the adapter, and then adapter then into my headphones... will I get both sources of sound?

If so, I can def do this. I can throw the 360 controller to the R channel for just one speaker for xbox live communication, and then I'll throw the RCAs from the rear of the console (adapted to stereo 3.5mm) to my headset as stereo sound.

Yes it is possible but overly complicated.

What you have to do is get a 2.5mm Y adapter. There are several types mono to mono, stereo to stereo, stereo to mono. For your purpose you want STEREO to STEREO (one 2.5mm male stereo jack and 2 2.5mm female Stereo jacks).

the male end of the Y adapter is going to go into the 360 controller (you may will need to get an inline volume control if your headphones did not come with one.

You will put the headphone and mic jack into one of the female jacks on the Y adapter

You will then need a wireless headphone transmitter to plug into either the RCAs from the 360 or the 1/4" headphone jack from the stereo receiver. There will be a 1/8" plug on the wireless receiver which you would need a 1/8" to 2mm adapter to plug into the Y adapter.

Now you're going to have to strip the headphone wires and only have the mic and one channel connected one one side, the other side

Finally you will need a Y adapter that is 2 female monos to 1 stereo 1/8 jack. To combine everything back into your headset.

Not really worth it IMO.
By the time you buy the adapters and the wireless headphone transmitted and receiver plus you have the mess of all that hanging off the back of your 360 controller, you won't be happy.

Yes it is possible but overly complicated.

What you have to do is get a 2.5mm Y adapter. There are several types mono to mono, stereo to stereo, stereo to mono. For your purpose you want STEREO to STEREO (one 2.5mm male stereo jack and 2 2.5mm female Stereo jacks).

the male end of the Y adapter is going to go into the 360 controller (you may will need to get an inline volume control if your headphones did not come with one.

You will put the headphone and mic jack into one of the female jacks on the Y adapter

You will then need a wireless headphone transmitter to plug into either the RCAs from the 360 or the 1/4" headphone jack from the stereo receiver. There will be a 1/8" plug on the wireless receiver which you would need a 1/8" to 2mm adapter to plug into the Y adapter.

Now you're going to have to strip the headphone wires and only have the mic and one channel connected one one side, the other side

Finally you will need a Y adapter that is 2 female monos to 1 stereo 1/8 jack. To combine everything back into your headset.

Not really worth it IMO.
By the time you buy the adapters and the wireless headphone transmitted and receiver plus you have the mess of all that hanging off the back of your 360 controller, you won't be happy.

I have saved a ton of old wires from dead devices... I cut off wires and save them, so I think I still have something. I think I can figure this all out... I'll probably use my broken 360 headset's volume piece so that I can adjust the communication volume, and then I'll use my receiver or even the RCAs from the 360...

I can figure it out... and I think I have everything I need too... somewhere... just gotta find it. :)

yeah, you're just going to have a mess of connectors going into your controller. Post a pic when you do it. I'd like to see if you find a neater way of doing it.

yeah, you're just going to have a mess of connectors going into your controller. Post a pic when you do it. I'd like to see if you find a neater way of doing it.

It won't be so bad... I just wish I had more of the shrink stuff... forget what it's called. The shrink tubing that you use a heatgun to neaten up wire connections.

It won't be so bad... I just wish I had more of the shrink stuff... forget what it's called. The shrink tubing that you use a heatgun to neaten up wire connections.

Do you have a cheap cell phone headset lying around? Any one with a 2.5mm plug will do.

-side-note-
Personally I thought the original Xbox headset was far better than the 360's. I put a little epoxy on the corner where it attaches and the thing was indestructible. Had mine since 2002 that survived traveling to 14 Xbox LANs all across the country, used on 3 different cell phones, and being stepped, thrown, dropped, slammed and squished countless times. Never gave me a problem. Then after 6 years the cord's end plug finally wore out. :(

- Blackstar

Do you have a cheap cell phone headset lying around? Any one with a 2.5mm plug will do.

-side-note-
Personally I thought the original Xbox headset was far better than the 360's. I put a little epoxy on the corner where it attaches and the thing was indestructible. Had mine since 2002 that survived traveling to 14 Xbox LANs all across the country, used on 3 different cell phones, and being stepped, thrown, dropped, slammed and squished countless times. Never gave me a problem. Then after 6 years the cord's end plug finally wore out. :(

- Blackstar

I know what you're getting at with the cell phone headset, but I also want a stereo headset for the gaming audio... I want it ALL-IN-ONE. :)

I know what you're getting at with the cell phone headset, but I also want a stereo headset for the gaming audio... I want it ALL-IN-ONE. :)

Aaaaaaah, ok I see, I get it. Then what you want is this: http://www.TurtleBeach.com/products/efx3/home.aspx

I've tried in the past to get/make/hack a solution like you are trying now, and believe me it's not worth the hassle or lack of real functionality. The Turtle Beach solution is the best right now. Maybe Santa will be extra special good to you this year. :santa:

- Blackstar

Aaaaaaah, ok I see, I get it. Then what you want is this: http://www.TurtleBeach.com/products/efx3/home.aspx

I've tried in the past to get/make/hack a solution like you are trying now, and believe me it's not worth the hassle or lack of real functionality. The Turtle Beach solution is the best right now. Maybe Santa will be extra special good to you this year. :santa:

- Blackstar

Yep, that's what I'm talking bout but without the adapter and cable mess. This would be your best bet..

I'd love that headset, but $$ is involved. A mod involves $0 for me since I already have a nice headset and whatnot... though cabling is annoying!!!

We'll see...

I'd love that headset, but $$ is involved. A mod involves $0 for me since I already have a nice headset and whatnot... though cabling is annoying!!!

We'll see...

Totally agree with ya, or if there was some small thing to get for an existing headset I'd do that, but I don't need 2 headsets floating around.

Back